1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles with Automatic

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Nuts, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

Do many trap shooters use semi-auto's for registered doubles trap? If so how do you manage to keep from bothering shooters at the next post. I have a 391, which I want to shoot at doubles, however, I worry about interferring with others on the same squad.

2. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

get a shell deflector

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"If so how do you manage to keep from bothering shooters at the next post."

Figure out how to shoot them so fast that your empties don't have a chance to bounce off the other shooter's forend wood and barrels.

You'll be able to relax on post 5 at least (unless you're a lefty, then post 1). ;-)

smifshot has your answer.

4. soup

soup Member

I have this same question in mind . I have an 1187 & just bought a Stan Baker choke tubed barrel for it -Jack West stock -had some trigger work done -all this so I could try shooting doubles . I don't have an o/u . I do have a shell catcher -Tom Morton- it catches the last shell and ejects the first -my trap barrel has a shell deflector to just drop the ejected shells at MY feet & not throw them to the next station .

Question is can you shoot doubles with the semi automatics ? Does anyone do it ?

BILL

5. capvan

capvan Active Member

My shell catcher on my 1100 actually "catches" the shell and can't be used on doubles. I haven't discovered anything that cures this problem. So...I just use my 1100 for doubles and hope for the best.

Nothing in ATA rules about this.

capvan

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I had a real tricked out 391 Beretta. There are 2 reasons I stopped using it. Was never really comfortable using an auto loader with a release. And, the most important is safety. Hope you are quick enough not to shoot the second target if the first shot is a blooper & the wad doesn't clear the barrel. Safety first.

Phil Berkowitz

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Yes you can and the 391 Beretta is a good gun for the job. The one I have pitches the hulls forward and they don't hit the shooter next to me or get into his line of sight. My gun hasn't been modified but some guns do need to have the ejector stud modified to do this. Tron does that kind of work, check his web page for details.

There are other considerations for using the autolader such as you need to know how/when to close the bolt so that you aren't activating the voice release system and you need to keep on top of your gun maintenance to ensure functioning.

All said, the O/U is a much easier type of gun to use on doubles and if you shoot a lot of doubles that is where you will end up.

8. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

What you need is a Knock-down pin installed on the barrel tang. Most 1100 Trap guns have one out of the box. Any decent gunsmith can put one in for you. I think that Tron picked up the knowledge when he first visited TS.com, you might contact him.

I've shot doubles with my 1100 trap, and my 1100 Competition for 6 years without hitting a single competitor. The ejected shells from my KD-pin set the empties right at my feet. I have, on occasion, had the shooter in front of me catch the hulls from his O/U and throw them out in front me just as I call & shoot. Shooting an auto for doubles eliminates this temptation.

The Comp pin is drilled and tapped for a roundhead allen machine screw and works just as well as those soldered in. It's also easier to change when it wears out.

IMO,
    Kip

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Call Tron. He can weld a deflector on your barrel.

10. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

635 G,

You write .... " Hope you are quick enough not to shoot the second target if the first shot is a blooper & the wad doesn't clear the barrel. Safety first"

While some may disagree, I think you will find that it is impossible to have a blooper load that is so light that the wad sticks in the choke but will still have enough power to operate the action to load the next shell. I got into this argument a few years ago on another web site and tested it by varying reloads using a Browning Gold auto.

In order to operate the action with enough force to cycle it through to eject and then rechamber the next shell, there has to be much more than enough force to shoot the wad out the barrel. (and of course I am only talking about the one-piece over powder shot cup wad and NOT any possible BASE wad from "AA"s, etc, etc, etc).

11. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I hope you are quicker than one of the shooters at our club. After shooting a round with him we told him he would have to pay dbl or have someone else pull his targets. His second shot resulted in another pair every time. This was on Erad voice calls and they give a full 2 second delay. I guess I could have changed that part, it's all in the program.

Rick in Mt.

12. darr

darr Well-Known Member

A Carey Closer will catch a shell or deflect 2.The problem is as far as I know they only make them for Berettas.I had one on a 391 that worked well.

Darr

13. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

My most unpleasant round of doubles was shooting next to a guy with an auto. I was added to the squad at the last minute and didn't have a choice of post. Now that I have a little more experience, I would have rather shot by myself and would have gotten re-squadded.

I was pelted on my body and one round to my gun (MX-2000) the entire round. I tried my best to stay focused but it was impossible. I would like to have that $35 back. Live and learn.

14. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Just shoot it if someone doesn't want to pelted with hulls they will move to another squad,it will probably bother you more than most shooters.Jerry

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I used to love to shoot doubles with my 1100. I experimented with different deflector designs and finally got one to drop the empties about at foot to the front and three feet to the right. Everything was perfect until I wore that receiver out and it quit cycling. I replaced the receiver with a new one but it never worked right again. The malfunctions were a distraction for me and my squad. Nobody said anything but it was a pain in the butt.

I shoot a lot of doubles so the only solution was a reliable OU.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Shooting doubles with an automatic is much better than not shooting doubles. A shell deflector is simple to install. A little bump of epoxy will work for a long time. Electrical tape hanging down works well but makes it hard to load the gun Most shooters do not object to a empty hull landing near their feet. Leo H. shot doubles with an 1100 for many years.

Pat Ireland

17. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Yah-ah. I like this thread. I'm gonna shoot some dubs mit my 1100 in pull trigger mode. I'll warn you where to avoid shootin.

18. Shoot-at-em

Shoot-at-em TS Member

I don't shoot doubles often, but I squad up to the left of my shooting buddy. I don't care if I hit him!

Frank

19. Squeal

Squeal Member

R. Kipling - Do you have a picture of this? And where did you get it done?
    I have a 1100 Competition with a hastings barrel and it pelts the guy next to you pretty bad.

When I squad for doubles, I always let them know I have an Auto so there is no surprises later.

Thanks

"The Comp pin is drilled and tapped for a roundhead allen machine screw and works just as well as those soldered in. It's also easier to change when it wears out"

20. soup

soup Member

ttt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.