1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles with an 870 pump??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pipalmighty, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pipalmighty

Pipalmighty TS Member

More curiosities from pip....
    I will be starting to shoot doubles in the coming weeks, and as my only shotgun is an 870 pump, I was hoping to get some advice (besides getting an auto-loader or an o/u) or tips about shooting doubles with a pump.
    So I ask... Tips? Advice?
    So far I know to go for the low one first... that's about it...

-Shane

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Hold for and shoot the most straightaway target first on positions 1,2,4, and 5 and your choice on post 3. Try to shoot rising targets.

The great Rudy Etchen used to shoot doubles with an 870 pump and had at least one 100 x 100.

Also, back in the day, Model 12's and 870's were often seen shooting skeet, which has double target presentations, and trap doubles. Today, pump guns are a rarity at either skeet or trap doubles.

If you shoot doubles with an 870, be aware that it has a long stroke, as compared to a Model 12, so you need to be deliberate about pumping in the second shell.

As to ammunition, I would shoot a 1 ounce load of 8's at 1180 fps for both shots as 870's tend to recoil and shooting heavy loads will cause a person to be recoil sensitive. A 3 dram load of 7 1/2'sr 8's would be a better ammunition selection for the second shot if you can tolerate the recoil.

Use a full choke and shoot the first target quick as you already know its flight path. As you pump and shoot the second target, keep your head on the stock and make a slight "U" in your swing so as to come up under the bird.

As to ammunition, new shells or reloads that have been properly re-sized are a must. A shell that is hard to chamber or extract will most likely cause a miss.

Ed Ward

3. missed some

missed some TS Member

and don't stand next to a guy with a stocloc, guess they are kind of fragile and don't wanna tear one up.

4. Mark T

Mark T TS Member

Shane,

I am not sure where you live, but here in Ohio there is a gentleman named Bill Mayer. He is 8x Ohio State Sporting Clays Champion, 6x consecutive, won several Skeet Shooting Championships and Several events at the Grand. I mention these achievements because he shoots all 3 disciplines with the same gun an 870 pump with a 34" barrel. He is a sporting clays instructor but can definitely give you some pointers on doubles.

He doesn't like to travel but will be happy to work with you.

Mark T

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Working the pump quickly is a must in the game of doubles. This isn't as much of a problem for the guys that have been shooting their old favorite in the field for years as it is for somebody just starting out. Just make a point of cycling the action while moving to the second target. It needs to be something you just do without thinking about it and it needs to happen fast.

There shouldn't be a low target in doubles - they should come out as a true pair and peak at the same elevation. The target you want to shoot first is the most straight away of the two then immediately swing on the angling bird. When you get to post 3, the targets appear equally split so just decide in you mind which one you want to shoot first.

Use fairly mild ammo, this will help you with the transition to the second target. 1 1/8 Oz #8 in the 2 3/4 dram loading is a good place to start.

Good luck and have a good time.

6. Dingelfutz

Dingelfutz TS Member

With an 870, in particular, "slow is smooth and smooth is fast" when it comes to shooting doubles. It is amazing how much time one actually has. The best pump-action doubles shooter I ever saw was Vic Reinders. This guy was poetry in motion with his Remington Model 31...no wasted motion at all.

Vic's records speak for themselves. I miss that crusty old "perfesser". They don't seem to make 'em like Vic, anymore.

7. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I read somewhere that Rudy Etchen could get his 2 doubles shots off faster than most other shooters using semi-autos or an O/U. He was the first to ever break 100 straight in doubles at the Grand.

I say go ahead and shoot that 870. Lots of good history in that gun.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Vic Reinders taught me how to shoot doubles with a pump gun. The Remington 31 had the shortest stroke and was the slickest pump gun ever made. Here are a couple tips that Vic gave me and I will pass them on to you.

In doubles shooting with a pump gun, the biggest problem is rushing the second shot and short shucking, (causing the gun to jam pumping for the second shot). Very few people realize that Vic had a method to try to eliminate this problem. He would use a dummy shell of another color and reload it with a used primer and insert this dummy shell first in the magazine and then place two good shells in the gun. He felt this dummy shell kept the second shell in line causing less chances of jamming up.

The second tip he gave me if you have short arms, purchase an extended forend for the 870 and this will also help with your pumping the gun.

Vic was a master at pumping his 31. I saw him numerous times take the second shot of doubles a foot off the ground. I am not a good shooter, and pumping doubles was fun for me, but the best score I ever pumped was an 88. Using an o/u or semi auto is easier as you can stay on the second target easier than the pump. To each his own, try it.
    Steve Balistreri

9. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

Had a friend of mine that shot an 870 for doubles. I knew that he could afford any gun he wanted so I asked him why are you shooting the 870. His answer "Well it gives me something to do between shots." End of discussion. Carried a "A" average with it.

10. concordefamily

concordefamily Member

Rudy "Mr.870" Etchen was great. Someone once asked him why he shot a *pump gun* for Doubles and he said "you have to do something between the 1st and 2nd shot". LOL!

11. concordefamily

concordefamily Member

Mark T - great example about Bill Mayer doing well (to say the least!) at Sporting Clays and Skeet. I would be careful though, I am not on hear all the time, but I remeber so some *big blow hard wind bag* that gets all upset when "Sporties" or "Skeeties" are used as examples is a Trap Shooting Forum:^) Maybe he will miss this thread!

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

There isn't much in the clay sports more impressive than watching someone shoot a pumpgun well in doubles.

-Gary

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

We have a guy in Southern Illinois, Bill Duncan, that shucks his 20 ga. 870, fixed up for trap, as smooth as I've ever seen anyone shoot dubs with a pump and I've shot them with Mike Jordan (870) and Vic Rienders (31) (both trapshooting legends).

14. Pipalmighty

Pipalmighty TS Member

Wolfram,
    I am in Ohio, Lancaster to be exact. My standard load is the federal 1 1/8oz 3 dram shell. I recently purchased some ammo for handicap shooting, Fiocchi "crusher", but have not tried it as of yet.
    I have been able to garner a little bit of familiarity at the trap range I go to, mostly for my gun... I have the magazine extension on it and I have a full extended choke. So my gun is pretty easy to pick out of the line up. It also sports a 28" barrel. I am averaging between 20 and 24 per round from the 16, and about 20 from the 20. I shot 22yd in winter league, but being it was at night, with lights, and about 5 above zero outside, my scores did not look good at all...
    if I can figure out how to get a pic to come up, I will link my gun.

-Shane

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Shane, keep in mind that doubles have the clay machine locked so that the clays are tossed at fixed angles. This means their flight from any station is predictable. After you watch a practice clay being thrown, you'll know where the first one will travel. Instead of holding on the trap house, you can place your gun just below the arc of flight and have less gun movement. This saves time when moving to intercept the second clay, which will also be in a fixed flight path.

At the link are the old illustrations from the Remington guide to trapshooting, including doubles. Take a gander at it and you'll see how this works. When practicing I took a printed copy of the flight path and the stations, and it helped me get familiar with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
anyone shoot a model 870 for trap
anyone shoot an 870 for trap
bill mayer trap shooting ohio
doubles with a 870

rudy etchen 870

rudy etchen pump guns

rudy etchen pumpguns
trap shooting doubles with pump shotgun