1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles with a Pump

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JJM64, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJM64

JJM64 TS Member

Does anyone use a pump gun for doubles trap? If so, is there a certain loading procedure that works best?

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Past greats....Dan Ohrlich, vic Reinders, Rudy Etchen.

I don't know now if anyone does. I would think the unloading procedure would be the item of concern. As in "Hit the Target".

Loading: depends on the gun. BPS with Bottom feed, I would put both in the tube. 870, toss one in, close gun, and put one in the tube.

HM

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Let me think about this ...... one in the chamber, one in the tube. Set the release, pull, shoot, pump, set, find second target, shoot. Yep, way to many things for me to do, I'm not smart enough to shoot doubles with a pump and a release.

4. BMC

BMC Member

IMO, not much different than hunting birds with a pump, same thing, only the targets are pretty much always in the same place. I've done it with my 870 before and it can be done, not the most efficient way to shoot doubles, but can be done. Just have to try not to shoot the targets so fast is all. That is where I see some guys in our club make a mistake when using a pump in doubles...they try to pump and shoot the second target too fast and in the process, don't cycle the second shell properly. Just my opinion.
    Brian.

5. frozen

frozen TS Member

My model 12 beats me up to much trying to shoot doubles with it. But last weekend at the shoot in Anchorage, on my squad was a junior shooter that was using a pump for doubles. He didnt do to bad at it eather.

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

If memory serves, Frank won his first Neb. State Doubles championship with an ole Md12

7. Dave McC

Dave McC TS Member

Rudy Etchen took a brand new 870 to the Grand in 1950 and ran 100 straight at doubles. He repeated that a number of times over the years.

It can be done. A little harder but doable.

8. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

the first time I had ever even seen a doubles pair in my life was registered. My trusty model 31 gave me a 78 even with 5 failure to fire's from user error

9. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Some where I read Roy Rogers was really good with a model 12 in singles and doubles Jon

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Model 12's and Ithica 37's are, I believe the only pumps that will fire by keeping pressure on the trigger after the first shot is fired. The guns will then fire when the bolt closes on the second round. I would think Herb Parsons used this technique when doing his amazing exhibition shooting with his nickel plated Model 12, hitting 7 hand thrown clays.....

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Technically, it isn't a "slam fire". That refers to the firing pin moving forward with enough inertia to strike the primer hard enough when the bolt is closed.<br.
    <br>
    Some shotguns, like Model 12's, have no disconnector. The gun will fire as long as the trigger is pulled back and the pump is cycled.<br>
    <br>
    Generally, old timers would hold the trigger back after the first shot and time the second shot for the moment the action closes. It's fast. Damn fast. Some shotgunners could cycle a Model 12 and hit multiple targets faster than they could with an auto, like the Browning Auto 5 or Rem 11. My grandfather could do this.<br>
    <br>
    The addition of a disconnector slowed the pump down, and it's rare to see someone who can operate a pump as fast as most semi-autos now. And with some semi-autos, like the Benelli, that would be a might tall order even with a shotgun that had no disconnector.<br>
    <br>
    The Model 12 is not the only pump with no disconnector. My first tactical shotgun was an old JC Higgins. I cut off the "Dial-A-Duck" to shorten the barrel. It was a fast handling pump. I could cycle it faster than a Model 12.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Some can shoot doubles with a pump well. I can shoot doubles with a pump, but not very well. Some days, I do not shoot doubles well with my K-80.

This thread has got me thinking about my 28 gage M-12 that has been resting in my gun safe for many years. I may be very sorry I read this thread.

Pat Ireland

13. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Pat, LOL, Please let us know how you make out. Good luck! Bob

14. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I read an article about a shooter ( early 60'S I believe ), who shot the first 400X400 in skeet. He shot it with 4 different gauges, using model 12's, and a model 42.

That is a feat! I'm sure others have done it since.

Danny

15. ftlupton

ftlupton TS Member

Watch Tom Knapp shoot a Benelli Nova pump, simply amazing.
    ftlupton

16. Bigbird

Bigbird TS Member

Broke 94 registered with the 870 when the 3200 was in the shop. It was fun, but got tired around the 80 mark.

17. old tex

old tex TS Member

Long ago I was privliged to watch a squad of pump shooters shoot doubles, you may have heard of Britt Robinson but John Guitar, Wallace Wooten, Malcolm Bottoms and Larry Gravestock put on a show no one who witnessed it will forget.

Britt was young, Larry was in his prime (which was as good as it gets)and John Guitar was All America caliber. Wallace Wooten "The Rascal from Haskell" was very tough, and Malcolm Bottoms was a very fine shooter from Quanah TX who never got the recognition he deserved.

Needless to say not many targets got away.

Probably in the 1960's.

unc

18. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I will always remember when Vic Reinders, (who shot a 31TC) was asked why he used a pump for doubles, His reply, "You have to do something between shots, so you might as well pump the gun.". Many years ago they set up a camera on a tripod behind Vic. This was well before the technical advances that we have seen today in the area of camera technology. He was shooting doubles. It showed him "smoking" the 2nd target and the hull from the first shot had not touched the ground yet!! Ed

19. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

I shot doubles with a model 12 untill it was stolen. Dad made me keep the bad hulls seperate from the good ones. The worn out hulls were the first shot on doubles. Same load just the bad hull hit the ground.

20. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Pheasantmaster, sure that wasn't Bill Johnson from Holdrege Nebraska?--Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pump for trap doubles

trap doubles with a pump gun