1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles with a Pump Gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by indycamster, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indycamster

indycamster Member

I am a new shooter and have been "advised" by the club house gurus to NOT try Doubles with a pump gun. So I am just wondering; How many folks shoot DOUBLES with a pump gun? I know my Dad used his Model 12 for sure..

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

There's no reason you can't try it but I wouldn't expect to be competitive with one.

3. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

The first time I shot the La. State Shoot I watched a little older lady (70+) shoot doubles with a 870 that was a real treat I believe she shot in the high 80s or low 90s that day. She was instaled in the La. hall of fame that year. If she can do it I feel we can all try it once or twice.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Use an old gun without the disconnector...

5. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Last time I did dbls with my 870 Express I believe I broke about 20 of 24. I like to shoot the pump for fun and that is all I shoot when I shoot skeet. I guess for me it is a self satisfaction thing about the increased difficulty.

6. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Not many use them Indy at the ATA shoots I attend in the Mid Atlantic. It is really pretty rare indeed to see one in a doubles event.

I do like to use my 870 for Sporting Clays though sometimes--it is fun to shuck them no doubt!

Try it out for the fun factor, but if you really want to learn the doubles game use an O/U. Once you get better with it, then try the pump again and see how you do.

It would be cool to be competitive with a pump in doubles. From my readings and stories I've been told, there were some who were quite good at in the day, especially with the legendary Model 12.

Guy Babin

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I didn't know there was anything else to shoot doubles with. LOL. I've humbled many a O/U shooter with a slide gun. I'm generally good for a 90/100 with my 870. Once you get used to the action, it will become second nature.

As I was told a long time ago, "you have to do something in between shots".

As a side note, I shoot skeet with a slide gun as well.

ss

8. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

What's a real challenge is shooting doubles with an 870 Comp.

Gne J

9. Dingelfutz

Dingelfutz TS Member

I never got to see Rudy Etchen blow everybody away in doubles with his 870 but I did get to see Vic Reinders perform with his Model 31. Poetry in motion; and his doubles records pretty much speak for themselves.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If you have been shooting your pump for hunting and cycling it is second nature to you then it might work just fine for doubles. Give it a try and decide for yourself. That being said, the prefered doubles gun is the O/U.

I really like shooting doubles with my pump field guns but I do it more as a warm up for bird season and just for the fun of it. I enjoy making small wagers with my shooting pals with my M37 against their specialized O/U doubles guns. Sometimes I even win and that is always good for a laugh.

When I am shooting for score the 682 Beretta is my go to gun.

11. wm rike

wm rike Member

Doubles is a tough game - most won't shoot it at all. Hold points, timing, and a host of other details mean there is usually a longer learning curve than with singles. If you buy any of that, you will be much better off keeping things simple at first by using an O/U. After you have the hang of doubles, by all means take the pump to the traps - you'll have a blast with it.

12. digger1dog

digger1dog Member

I don't think anybody caught on to what BigMPerazzi was getting at in his post..His double click on the submit button was intentional.

Fred J

13. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I thought it was a forearm flinch Fred.

14. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Denver Lewis/Chicago was great with his model 12 back in the 70's...and fast!!!

milt

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

You guys! Lol

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Remember the story of the 2 young biys shooting their Christmas gift at Hunters Run in Baton Rouge.. They didn't know it was difficult to shoot doubles with a pump.. They never shot trap before ... sooooooo what the hell.. Rudy Etchen would have been proud of the 2 young shooters.. Natural ability.. That's about all I can say..

17. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

BIGBORE

Never heard the story (I was raised a poor sheltered white child).

So tell it, please..

miltie

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Great story "PerraziBigBore" When i was a child hunting doves with my Grandpa and Dad, i had no idea there were any other shotguns than Model 12, Model 37(my first dove killed with this old single) and 870's. I have never tried doubles with my pump guns put it sure sounds like a fun weekend idea. I know what some of you mean by pumping becoming second nature. When in the heat of the moment swinging to that second dove or in my case taking that second shot at the first one(LOL) you never realize the pump happened.---Matt

19. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I used a Model 12, ONCE! JRM

20. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I like that ONCE...LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.