1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles with a Double?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Church Key, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Church Key

Church Key TS Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I shoot weekly 16 yard mid-week practice trap (usually four rounds) at a local club for reflex exercise and overall general enjoyment. I'm a serious Cowboy Action Shooter and not specifically interested in competitive trap. My weekends are absorbed by cowboy shooting. Anyhow, they (trap club) occasionally shoot a round of doubles. My only trap gun is a BT-99. I do have a couple of 30" SXS doubles, a Stevens 311 and a Daly 500. Will these work OK for doubles or should I trade one of them for something like a trap OU or pump? My other choice is to get a 30" Winchester 97 that I can use for both doubles and cowboy shooting.

I'm beginning to think I just answered my own question as Winchester 97's are neat. Anyhow, appreciate your sage advice.
  2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    You are correct on the '97...one hellova shotgun.

Although your SxS guns will do just fine for double.
  3. pw1

pw1 TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Do your self a favor, get a doubles trap gun to shoot doubles. I shot Cowboys for many years several years ago (SASS "Gunrunner" #2500 I think) I love the old 97 but it ain't a doubles gun. I know from experience. I love SXS's I've got about a dozen of them and they aint doubles guns either. Most field guns aint doubles guns either. To be happy in the long run and enjoy the sport get the right tool for the job. You wouldn't think of playing Tennis with a Bad Mitten Racket.
    Just my thoughts from experience.
  4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I have a bunch of 97's, but use a 31 for doubles. How bout building the comb up a bit and trying it?

SASS 9582 Jacknife

Gne J
  5. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Being that you are just shooting for fun. If you shoot any of the SxS well and the barrels are choked Mod and Full give them a try. If the Win 97 is a pump and choked Mod or tighter you can also try that. You could even hold your gun down as when approaching a dog on point.

Now if you get serious...get a Trap Over/Under to go with the BT-99.

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

As I've stated on this site many times, doubles should be shot with a slide gun! I've always wanted to try with a good SXS though.

trapshootin hippie has got it right. Not a smoother slide gun than a 31.

7. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

Feb 7, 2006
    hall of famer rudy etchen favored the remington 870
  8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Using the 97 for doubles would be very stylish but don't expect to be competitive. Why not get something like an XT combo and go after the game like you mean it?

Like you I got a 97 for the SASS games and even though I don't do that anymore, I still take the 97 out for a quail hunt or two each year. Very entertaining shotgun.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.