1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles with a 1100?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jbifulco, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

Is it bad manners to shoot doubles with an auto loader? I shot my first round of registered doubles over the weekend with my 1100 and had a lot of fun. I shot an 83 which I thought was just fine. There were only three shooters on the squad so there was an open post to my right and my flying empties caused no harm.

I am concerned that I will annoy shooters on a full squad with my empties hitting their feet. Problem is a new gun for doubles is not in the budget and I am shooting the 1100 well.

Any opinions?

Thanks.

Joe

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I love to shoot my 1100 as well. You can have a gunsmith install a small peg or screw in the barrel portion that will deflect the empty hull near your feet rather than an adjacent trapshooter. This is already there in a trap barrel but is not a hard thing for someone to do. It works pretty good too.
    I just buy off the guy to my right with a false promise of dinner. So far it's worked every time, but he rides to the shoots with me so he better let me shoot next to him.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

As long as your hulls aren't pelting the shooter next to you (or their gun) you shouldn't have a manners problem. A deflector stud will help with that. You will need to keep the gun in top operating condition though because jams turn into lost targets fairly quickly.

4. The Stive

The Stive Member

Shoot your 1100 and have fun. John

5. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

The gun is a trap model with the barrel stud, but it still throws the empties pretty far to the right.

I clean the gun every 300 to 500 rounds and shoot it wet with CLP and don't have any problems with it. I keep reading that the 100 is unreliable, it just don't find that to be the case.

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I agree with your assessment. Mine is very reliable and they are a pleasure to shoot. Mine even continued to shoot most of the time with a spent primer rolling around in the trigger assembly some where.
    I fixed a friends beretta for him as he had lost his gas assembly. It cost about half as much as a good used 1100 for the part and retaining clip.

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Fix the empty problem then shoot away. I had a gunsmith fix mine back in the seventies and it shot well until the receiver cracked and Remington sent me a new receiver. It never cycled for doubles again and I bough a 3200. Good luck.

8. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

1100s are great...consider replacing the main operating spring (located inside the tube in the stock) if the gun has been shot quite a bit. This holds down the damage to the internal parts and may decrease the distance the empties are thrown. Best Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.