1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

" DOUBLES ' w/ an 1187

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by soup, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soup

soup Member

" DOUBLES

FOLKS ,
    Trying to see if anyone still shoots doubles with an 1187? I have an 1187 w/Stan Baker blackened/ported barrel -steel Timnney-Jack West stock . I want to TRY shooting doubles with it but most folks are shooting O/U . I'm wondering if anyone still shoots them on a regular basis . I do have a Morton shell catcher & it also has the deflector stud so ejecting hulls into the next shooter is not an issue.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

BILL

2. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Try it and see how you do
    The only problem is spitting shells on the ground or the person next to you...

3. jsa3107

4. jsa3107

5. jsa3107

6. jsa3107

7. jsa3107

8. jsa3107

9. jsa3107

10. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

Someone else mention in an earlier thread that hipnotic procedures are good for flinching???

I shot for years with a Rem. 1100 , and found it to be a great trap gun...

Shooting doubles would not be a problem , only disadvantage that I see would be the tight choke for the first bird if that will bother you...

Try it and enjoy, as I did well with a full choke at doubles...

Robert

( Newfoundlander )

11. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

With the deflector stud, your empties will be falling right on your feet and not on your neighbor. So that part should be okay. For the first shot I would use #9 shot and #8 or 7.5 for the second shot with a full choke. Hope this helps. JM

12. rick979

rick979 Active Member

The shell deflector will NOT make the shells fall at your feet but go ahead and shoot it. I do.

13. Classic Trap

Classic Trap TS Member

Hit: That's two of us. I have a Baker BB 1187 with a West stock and Timney trigger also. Just got back fron Coon Creek this afternoon having shot doubles with said gun. It works. That .800 bore in a gas gun is a marvel! I have had no problems in making the gun function. In conversations with Stan Baker in 1984, he told me the barrel was designed around the Winchester AA wad. I have used WAA12L, WAA12SL, WAA12 and all the replacements for those that are direct copies. Also, Rem. TGT12, FIG 8, and Fed 12SO and 12S3 (the old 12C3 even worked). You will hear all manner of things about how the Baker BB isn't, can't, doesn't do the job Baker said it can. I response is OK. I like to shoot not get into pissing contests. I have chronographed and patterned MANY MANY loads through my BB and my buddies Perazzi MX3 BB. I am satisfied. My current load for 16s and doubles: 7/8 oz shot, Rem STS, Rem 209P, WAA12L, and 20.5 Clays for 1350 MV @ 9700 psi. For handicap: factory Fiocchi 24 gram 7 1/2s (12IN2475). I use the Fiocchi in my Beretta bunker gun and for Int. Skeet also. The 27 yd hdcp target is very similar to the second shot on a bunker target if you must take it. Point being, it will digest a lot of different loads. Shoot what you have confidence in from 7/8 to 1 1/8 and the gun will not let you down.

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land

I shoot doubles with an 1187.

However, I prefer to use my lighter 28" light contour field barrel, instead of my heavier 30" step rib backbored trap barrel. It's a bit quicker to get into motion for the second bird.

Also, I'm using a mod choke, and my 1187 tosses the hulls forward. They usually land just past the mic stand.

15. soup

soup Member

16. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

I use an 1100 for doubles and just purchased another one for a backup, both are early models. Great guns! My empties go down and forward. Sometimes one will fly a little too far right but most doubles shooters understand and don't whine about it.

Ray

17. soup

soup Member

18. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I shoot an O/U because there are less moving parts to screw up or break. You also don't have a cry baby worry about hulls hitting him.

19. Squeal

Squeal Member

I shoot an 1100 for doubles. It does have a deflector stub. People complain if you don’t have the stud.

20. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Ya know....I would try it and see how you do. The only trouble might be the spitting of the shells and the person next to you.........!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1187 doubles shell carcher

skeet forums 1187 catcher