1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DOUBLES TROUBLES

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rico46, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

I would like to ask for some assistance on doubles shooting. First, I am a right hand shooter and I shoot doubles the conventional way, including taking the right hand target first on station three. Yesterday, while shooting doubles this is what it looked like ( I started on station 3 and finished on 2) 8,6,5,9 and 10. ( 38 total) Second round 10,7,6,9,9. ( 41 total) FYI, I only missed one first shot, so therefore all the other misses are the second shots. For some reason the second shot on stations four & five are disasters. My set up for the second shot is exactly the way I set up for my 16 yard shot. If any one has ideas I'm willing to try! Thanks

Rick

2. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Rick, Doubles is NOT 16 yard shot twice. You have to shoot the first target much quicker than 16 yard (you do know exactly where it's going to be after all), then make a smooth move to the 2nd target. It's ok to miss a first target once in a while while in the learning mode. I'm still there unfortunately so I can talk better than I can shoot. :)

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

open your stance on stations 1 and 2 and slightly on 3, and turn your stance to the right on 4 and 5. On 5, my heals are nearly parallel with right side of the trap house. Always set up your stance for the second shot. Raise or lower your comb for the second shot as well, and learn where to need be on your first shot, unless you have a totally adjustible doubles gun. The second shot needs to be where you look. Oh ya, keep your head down.

4. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Well first off it is NOT good to miss a few first targets while learning. Your second shot is ALL about your first shot.
    1. Never "feel" as you have to rush!!!!!
    2. It is all about the first shot. Pay attention to where the first target appears, be ON THE HOUSE right below where it appears, make an aggressivive move to take it, then controlled swing to the second.
    3. I am BIG on foot placement on doubles. Your feet MUST be set to take the second target WHATEVER station you are in!!! I even OVERSET my feet in station 4&5. [You have no idea how much I see this happen]
    4. Finally you MUST LOOK at the second bird. You cannot just say where it will be.
    If you take these steps it will help. Also if your learning or struggling stay out of posts 1,2,3 Look at the trargets before you and inbetween!!!!! Shoot on a full squad...........and shoot on a calm day if possible. You will NOT get better by shooting poor targets!!!!

GS

PS If your at the WI state shoot, I give ya a look.

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Then there's this; many righties have a tendancy to "roll the shoulders" rather than swivel from the legs when swinging on birds to the right. In other words, there's a tendancy when swinging to the right to begin to lower the right shoulder, raise the left shoulder, and assume that's a smooth swing. Instead, we need to focus on remaining upright and square with the grade and swing (or swivel like a tank) while keeping our eyes on the target. This isn't all that obvious in trap, even doubles, but if you are rolling shoulders in skeet, it's as obvious as a flat tire on your motorhome. I suffer from this syndrome and also find I must shoot or seem to shoot AT that second bird permitting the swing and followthrough to build in any lead....breakemall....Bob Dodd

Hmm, BTW, I'm NOT, by any means, a top shooter in the doubles game...BD

6. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Bob Dodd, if you are right-handed, try shifting your weight slightly to your left leg (60/40) with a slight break in your left knee...then let your knee do the pointing toward the target...will help you swivel to the target instead of rolling your shoulders. Works in skeet...should work in doubles. Best Regards, Ed

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Yeah, Ed, that's right where I go when I finally realize I'm rolling the shoulders. This is real easy to see in others but can be a bugger to solve in one's own battery of mistakes.....Bob Dodd

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

GS gave some good advice about the first bird. Doubles are shot as a pair of birds, not two single birds. It is important to break the first bird with a consistent rhythm and then go for the next bird. On 4 and especially 5, if you stand in position to break the second bird and then move your right toe about 3/4 inch toward the right (heel must remain in position) you will be surprised how much faster you will pivot to the right. You can easily test this at home.

Pat Ireland

9. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Bob Dodd, You're 100% right! One of my biggest problems is concentration...maybe it is senility setting in...catch myself daydreaming instead of paying attention to the targets and the game at hand. Yesterday was shooting with two gentlemen: one with BT-100 and one with BT-99. Started daydreaming if I might need a "BT" of one sort or another. Oh yeah, missed a couple of targets before getting back to reality. Best Regards, Ed

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

All great advice...Britt Robinson had me lower my hold on my first target and track it a wee bit before I shot it. That helped me get a consistently smooth rythm going and made swinging on the second target much more smooth. If you can take one of his clinics, DO IT!!....best money you'll ever spend on this game, IMHO.

Ron Burr

Alberta

11. trevorh

trevorh TS Member

The way i do it is point at where the first bird is going to be and when i see a blur i shoot i dont know if i broke it that is the score keepers job and then just consintrate on the next bird. if i could guess what your problem is that the 2nd bird is falling when you shoot it and you leed it like a rising bird.

12. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

It is advantageous to shoot the second bird while still rising, so speed is more critical than most realise. Ever notice how fast the AA shooters do it? It' not just because they can. They want to shoot both birds rising. Once you gain some experience, it's easier than you may think. Don't be afraid to try some controlled speed.

13. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Harlan says to not spot shoot the first bird but instead hold just to the plus side of it and make a smooth but small move to it and to not admire the smokeball from the first shot but instead to move your eyes to the second as soon as you pull the trigger on the first. Eyes first, gun second. Oh, and stand for the second target, sort of unwind from the first to second. John

14. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

Pat Ireland, please email me. Would like to talk about your K-80 setup. I do appreciate all insight on doubles on this forum. I sure do need the help!!! Matt

15. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Doubles take twice the practice. Shoot a couple 500 or 1000 bird marathons and you will see your average go up quite a bit each day. I shot over 1000 doubles in 2 weeks and my average went up 6 birds! I would like to find more marathons. Every club should have a couple!

16. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

One of the foundation principles of shooting doubles in my opinion is to practice shooting the first target as quickly as you can comfortably so as not to get jerky and mess with your rythm...the second target will hopefully still be rising and will be easier to shoot.

Ron Burr

17. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Agreed Ron. Speed is important. I set up my first shot so I trap it or move slightly to it in the direction of my second target. Shoot the first target as fast as you are capable, not "as fast as you can". Some are not capable of the speed, and learn to shoot the game slower. Quick shooters can shoot IC/Mod and make inkspots. Suggestions on this thread should be backed up with averages. Careful what you soak up.

18. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

Thank you for all the good information. Now I just need to go out and put that information to good use. Best to you all!

Rick

P.S. Al,maybe I'll see you over at Boxhorn on Friday

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Practice doubles when you shoot your 16 yard singles. Do this on stations 1,2,4 and 5 by holding for the straight away target. If a straight away comes out shoot it as fast as possible. If an angle target comes out it will be like swinging to the second target in doubles. On station 3 hold for the angle target you prefer and do the same as above. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.