1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles target speed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Playing a little with Doubles targets today......Pat-Trap, low powered radar gun held level at the rear of the trap house, set the rubber (spring) to put 39 mph on the right target as per ATA rulebook.......left target clocked 41 mph.

Does that sound right, that the left target should be going 2 mph faster than the right one?

John C. Saubak

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

John, it's more like one MPH but the integer precision of a low power gun can come up with results like this.

Neil

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Neil, I think you will agree that 39 mph plus/minus 0.5 mph is tighter than the alternative of 44-51 yards. Why is the height of Doubles at 8-12 feet high where Singles and Handicap are 8-10 feet high ??

4. Neil Winston

Mike, at the BOD meeting last year I promised to publish speed rules which would "substantially duplicate" the distance rules. Those speed are 42 and 39, the latter for a 44 yard target, depending on height.

I made a mistake with the plus/minus. I anticipated that setters would use 42, in fact most start at 41.5 and go down from there. Same with doubles and both plans lead to targets which are too short to fulfill my assurance of "substantially similar."

I'll try to get agreement to change the rule to "Minimum of 42 MPH for singles and handicap, a minimum of 39 for doubles.

I think the wider height-range for doubles is because there is a wider range of desired targets. I've been places they like them high, others far lower. And who ever measured the height of doubles anyway? I guess they do it some places, but not where I shoot.

Neil

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I'd like to see wider angles, 55 yards and at least 75 fps.

Let the games begin.

Curt

6. Neil Winston

Curt, with the proposed rule above, a club could set the targets you would like to see. I doubt many will, but if you don't mind shooting at what I predict would be a _very_ small shoot, you can lobby for your preferences. What's your doubles average now, by the way?

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.