1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles target distance?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Beancounter, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Chatbrat, I would disagree with the distance on the first doubles shot. I believe most good doubles shooters hit that bird well under 30 yards. I am not as quick as some and since I am only class a, clearly there are many people who shoot them much better than I do, but I am hitting that target at perhaps 27 yards and under some conditions less than 25. The second bird continues to move and if you watched even the fastest shooters, I would estimate the second bird is at least 35 yards away when it is broken.

2. teleskier

teleskier Member

I can't say at what distance the birds are breaking but learned at a two day clinic this past weekend with Daro Handy that the first shot is "almost" reckless in that you pre pick the point of impact so tracking is almost nill. If you are having to track the first bird you are wasting time and energy. With this shot setup, most if not all of us were breaking the second bird before the crest and downward flight. Again, don't know the distance but this lesson helped me and I have only shot a couple hundred doubles prior to this class.

3. Bill60

Bill60 TS Member

i shoot doubles really fast so my second shot in doubles is proably 35 yds. i pop the first target right out of thehouse i never even see it. it pull boom then go look for the second target I havent missed a first bird for a long time but it depends how you shoot.

Steven

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I agree with HGWT. It depends on the shooter but I think >most< successful doubles shooters break the first target at 25-30 yds & break the second at around 35-40 yds.

Slower shooters might be five yards or so farther but------you seldom see a really >good< slow doubles shooter.

John C. Saubak

5. Bill60

Bill60 TS Member

Are you implying that i am not good i think we need to have a shoot off to shut you up

Steven

P.S just kidding

6. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

Thbe way I understand it is if you shoot them real fast they have less angle to them. Makes sense to me.
    Bob R

7. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

I've heard from the all-americans that if you shoot doubles like they do and what is the reccomended speed, that the second target should have no more distance than a singles target (I wish I had that good of eyes and was that fast)

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

In my opinion and it is just an opinion. I feel it depends on target setting the rule allow for a minimum of 44 yds. If the targets are throw to 44-46 yards I don't believe that the second target can be broken a t a distance much over 33 yards out and and not be descending. JMO

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

doubles trap distances