1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles Suggestions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by clayshooter555, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clayshooter555

clayshooter555 TS Member

Looking for some good tips on doubles..either video or print. Can you recommend any?

Thx. Don't know why I am taking up doubles....the devil made me do it! :)

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Learn to acquire first bird as quick and efficiently as possible. But most importantly, don't end up with an empty gun before you get to the second target.

Don't get caught_up in the hype about chokes. (suggest a .020 t or - alittle for first shot and .030 t or - for second).

Don't get caught up on load selection. Keep it simple to start ( light 8 or 7.5 for both shots either 1 or 1.125).

POI will be individual choice. I like both barrels shooting same POI but some seem to think they acheive better results with top barrel printing lower POI.

This game is alot about timing and to me where to be efficient good gun fit, learned basics and substantial trust with eye/hand coordination are emphasized to be a star.

3. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

You're taking up doubles because it's the most fun thing you can do with your clothes on. :) Steve

4. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Excellent advice from Pheasantmaster...

Larry

5. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Phesantmaster is correct. Jump on that first bird quickly. If you never miss the first bird, you are shooting it to slow. The quicker you are on the first bird, the easier the second bird is.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Yes, shoot the first bird fast but do not get reckless with the first bird. Of the three events we shoot, doubles are the most fun.

Pat Ireland

7. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

shoot first bird as fast as you can and still break it, if you see it break you spent too much time on it, first shot is kind of a trick shot,see it through the gun and where it is going to be, you should be moving towards the second bird as you break your first bird, your eyes find second bird and you swing towards it and shoot. Practice, practice, practice. Work on speed drills, miss the first bird in practice occasionally, but not in the program they still count the first bird. I agree the most legal thing you can do with your clothes on!! and the fastest way to go through shotgun shells you ever found! Find ways to slow your mind, control anticipation Any more Q's pm me!

8. DelarockX

DelarockX TS Member

How high off the house do you hold for the first shot?

9. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

depends on how high the birds are going, but high enough to see the first bird under the gun

10. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

First off shooting doubles gives you twice as many empties to reload and you save your voice! Bring lots of shells! The more you shoot 'em the more you'll like 'em! A good coach will save you a lot of frustration but you'll figure it out. Have fun!!

Big Jack

11. Seitz373

Seitz373 Member

Take a clinic, read a book, and/or buy a dvd. And shoot A LOT of them.

12. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

What's with all this talk about different shot size? I mean if you break the bird during singles/HDCP with 7.5 and a full choke why do you have to over think this whole process?

Pheasantmaster, how can you change the poi of one barrel and not the other?

13. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Anyone have any recommendations for one eyed shooters relating to doubles???..SMOKIT

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

For the first shot in doubles I hold a level gun on the flight path of the target. When I see the bird come out of the house I pull the trigger. I break the bird about 5 yards out of the house without moving the gun. I use 1 oz of shot and a skeet choke. This technique is called trapping the bird.

There are 2 advantages to using this method. The first is shooting the first bird quickly and moving to the second target while it is still rising and relatively close in. The second is it allows you to adjust the POI of the second barrel of your O/U in order to center your hits on the second target. Having your gun set up to hit the second bird consistently, is probably best way to improve your doubles score. HMB

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

calkidd,

With a K-80, different hangers at the front of the barrel are employed to change the separation of the barrels.

You can also send a "normal" gun to a barrel-smith to have the POI changed. In some cases, only tube work is needed if you have choke tubes.

Over thinking is the worst thing a good trapshooter can do. A good 16 yard load is a good Doubles load. Some guys use a lighter load and/or smaller shot size for the first shot. Others (like me) use the KISS system and use their 16 yard load.

I am too lazy to set up for another load, and carry a third type of ammo. I just know I will eventually put the "wrong" shell in the wrong barrel - or at least worry about it before calling for the bird.

Pheastmaster pretty well nailed it.

Your desired POI may change depending on how quickly you get to the second bird. Newer shooters typically spend too much time on the first shot and are slower to the second bird. Thus, they may benefit from a lower POI on the second shot. Many good shooters are fast, and use the same POI for both barrels.

Don Verna