1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles...second shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trapperwads, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

Anybody ever use number nine shot for the second shot at doubles...and...the results? thanks ed nichols

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The second bird seems a little far away for nines. For that target, I like 7 1/2's and a Full choke. YMMV

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I've mixed up shells and shot 8 1/2's by mistake and didn't like it but the recoil was all wrong too.

Neil

4. Buckeye

Buckeye Member

Stick with a comfortable load of #7 1/2 or #8's in a IM or Full depending how your gun shoots. My favorite second shot is either new 1 1/8 oz. Light Handicap STS or a 1 1/8 oz. reload of Int. Clays, Downrange Windjammer clone, Fiocchi primer, and #7 1/2 hard shot in a green hull.

I sometimes use my 1 oz. #8 first shot load for both shots in practice but in a serious event I use 1 1/8 oz. for the second shot.

Good luck.

Buckeye

5. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Not on purpose.

Shot an ATA event at Fallon a few weeks ago, and on the last post of the first round noticed I hadn't changed the barrel selector and had been shooting the top barrel (1 1/8 7.5s .032) first and the bottom (7/8s 9s .022) second.

Thought I'd been hitting the first bird awful hard.

Finished with a 45 on both rounds. Go figure.

Definitely got me to thinking on what I need for the second shot.

Jim

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If your load works well for 16 yards, it will also work well for doubles! After all, Doubles is 16 yards, 2 at a time!

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Many years ago Frank Little told me to use the same shot I shoot at 16 yards for the second bird of doubles. He stated that if my second doubles bird goes out too far to get consistent hits with my 16 yard load, I should change the way I shoot the second bird, not the shell I use to shoot the second bird.

Pat Ireland

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Neil- Is it possible that you and I are the only shooters who have gotten our first and second doubles load mixed up? I have even missed a bird because I was wondering if I possibly could have mixed them up.

Pat Ireland

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I use AA 1oz Ultra Light 8's for both shots.

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I used to shoot Federal Gold Medal 1oz 8 1/2's....the best round ever devised for 16 yds and doubles....can't seem to get 'em in Western Canada anymore....DAMN!!

11. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

lucky is the man with a browning marked ic and mod (ideal for doubles

)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.