1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles question!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gasman03, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gasman03

gasman03 Member

I have a couple of questions on doubles.

1. Is the second shot like shooting mid range handi as far as distance?

2. Do you want a flat shooting gun to catch that second rock?

These are based on a 15yr old not real fast at them and not been shooting them long.

Thanks Corey

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

1. Treat the second shot like a 16 yard target.

2. Generally, a flat shooting gun works best for the second target.

I assume from your questions that you are having problems with your second target. Many shooters lead the second target way too much. Stay tight in the gun and make sure you have a good visual lock on the second target. Bill Malcolm

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The second shot in doubles usually isn't that far from the gun because it is moving at an angle to the shooter. (shoot the straight away first) But if your wondering which choke to use, IMOD works pretty well for me. The delay for shooting the first bird varies with the shooter but I would guess that second target is alot like getting an angle shot from the 20.

Flat shooting guns are not very popular in the trap game, doubles included. You need to see the bird and to do that it helps if your gun shoots a bit high.

If you are shooting at the second bird when it is coming down you need to speed things up by eliminating wasted motion/time. This comes with practice but don't set yourself up with the intent of shooting a falling target, get that second bird when it is high in the sky.

Get yourself a copy if Phil Kiner's DVD, best money you will ever spend on this game.

4. powderburn

powderburn Member

Corey,
    1st: pick something out in the distance to see where the track of your straightaway target is going. So, don't lead off a squad til you've shot doubles for a while.
    2nd: Pop that straightaway as fast as you can. Keep your head down. Don't look up to see it break. It's really important to also use a light load for doubles so you're not getting bumped off the stock for the second shot. A soft 1oz. or 7/8 oz. shell will do. Do an improved mod. for your first shot (bottom barrel), and either an imp. mod. for your second shot or a full. Always shoot that bottom barrel for the first shot. The recoil is more a straight back recoil or "in line" recoil, that will make it easier to swing over for the second bird.
    3rd: It will feel like the second bird is getting away from you early on in learning to shoot doubles. You have more time than you think. Your lead for the second bird is no greater than it is if you were shooting singles. Don't over lead. That took me a while to learn.
    Things to remember: always take the straightaway first. Sometimes it isn't a true straightaway. That's why it's important to reference an object in the distance to get the target's path locked in. Use light loads. And, have fun! That second bird can be discouraging to figure out. Ideally, you want to smak that first one QUICK. Then, you get to that other one while it's still on the way up, or just peaking. If the second one is on it's way down by the time you get to it, your trapgun will then handicap you b/c of its high point of impact.

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Corey:

Doubles targets differ from single targets in several important ways.

1. The initial speed of doubles is approx 39 mph vs. 41 mph for singles or handicap targets.

2. The distance for properly set single targets 'on a calm day' is approx. 50 yards. The ATA's notion of the 'ideal' distance for doubles targets 'on a calm day' is 44 yards.

Simply said, doubles targets are thrown slower and shorter than single targets. As an aside, since speed guns have become common for target setting, doubles IMO, are set 'taller' than doubles targets were typically set before the use of guns.

In response to your questions (taken in reverse order) and based on, "... a 15yr old not real fast...", I would speculate that you're shooting second targets after they peak and while they are falling. If so, a flat shooting gun is likely your best bet. You wouldn't need to consider a high (or higher) shooting gun unless or until you can confortably shoot both targets on the rise.

Whether your second targets resemble mid range cap targets is strictly a function of how far they fly before you shoot them. Remember that the so called 'ideal' distance is only 44 yards.

sissy

6. Seitz373

Seitz373 Member

Don't get too technical. Try to set your gun's POI up close to how you're singles gun shoots and just shoot each target like a singles target with a smooth move from the first target to the second. Good luck

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

check your private messages

8. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Leo includes doubles in his clinics and gives you alot of information. He must know something about it, he broke 200 straight doubles today at the Ohio State Shoot.

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Good shooting Leo! Hope your having some fun too Karla.

I need to have a refresher, bad habits have a way of creeping up on me without the watchfull eye.

10. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

I use a Light Mod. for the first shot and take it as quick as I can. I've been holding my gun pretty high and rarely miss a first target. Many people I talk to have gone to an Improved Cly. or Skeet coke. I'm considering the Imp. Cyl. I use a 1oz. load going about 1200fps from the bottom barrel.

For the second shot I shoot an Improved Mod. choke. I use my Handicap load, which is still one 1oz. but 1 bushing higher than the first shot. I discovered I too was leading too much. The only targets with significant leads are from 1 and 5, and they aren't very big. Try to see that second target as soon as you pull the trigger for the first. I lock my eyes on the second target, keep my head on the stock and swing my gun through where I'm looking. I tend to shoot the target as it peaks or just starting to come down, if the targets are set well in light winds. I need to be well under it using a Citori XT.

I love doubles! Lot's of fast shooting fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.