1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HoosierHawk95, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoosierHawk95

HoosierHawk95 Member

I have shot doubles in the past with a 32" barrel. I have a chance to purchase a combo with a 30" o/u barrel that I would use for doubles.
    What are opinions on using a 30" barrel for doubles in trap? Should I detect any noticeable difference? Should I use a tighter choke? Thanks for you input.

2. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I have both a 32" 3200 and a 30" 3200. They have identical stock geometry, adjustable combs, butt-plates and recoil pads. The only difference is the length of the barrels.

At various times over the last 6 years or so I've used both for doubles, singles and hcp.

Curious I've collected my performance metrics based on scores shot with each over the years on an Excel spreadsheet. I was surprised (a bit) to find out the difference was statistically insignificant.

Based on the numbers alone there is no difference; however, sometimes I favor one over the other for purely subjective reasons. When I feel like I'm shooting one really well, I'll use it for everything. If I get in a slump, I might try the other one just to give me a feeling that I'm doing something to change the trend without really changing anything too much. This tactic sometimes works.

I really don't see how two inches makes that much of a diff, especially when compared on the same receiver as in a combo, which is weighted and balanced to compensate for the length differences.

After all, how much does 2" of the end of a barrel weigh?

Guy Babin

3. HoosierHawk95

HoosierHawk95 Member

Thanks Guy. You post was very insightful and helpful.

4. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I have to admit I've never before thought about having to go to a tighter choke because the end of my barrel was two inches farther from the target....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.