1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kevin Nelson, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

How do you get your eyes to go to the second target before the gun does, any one got any good drills for that? The first target is no problem, I believe my gun goes to the second target before my eyes and then I feel like I am searching all over for it, and then its to late and its a lost target.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

After you pull the trigger for the first bird look for the second bird, then move the gun to the second bird. That is one method you can try. I like to trap the first bird, holding a level gun with no movement. I shoot the first bird using my left eye and the second bird with my right eye. HMB

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

H, I'm not sure the human brain works that way!!!

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

How do you get your eyes to go to the pretty gal walking down the street wearing short shorts and a bikini top ? Just gotta have the intrest. Get interested in seeing that second target.

5. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

HMB, how do you change hands that fast?

Ajax

6. racer

racer TS Member

I put two x's towards the top of a wall in the garage about 10 feet apart. Mount and raise gun to one x then turn your eyes to look at other x. About a weeks practice will do wonders.... Dan

7. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Stop waiting to see the first bird break. Once you pull the trigger that shot is gone. Miss or hit you can't take it back. Shoot then swing. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

8. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

Thats the trouble, I shoot and swing, but the gun gets there before my eyes and then I am hunting for the target instead of just being on it. I shoot really fast, but when I try to slow down, it makes it worse. I have to figure a way to get my eyes there before the gun. In singles and caps, its see the target, take the gun to it and shoot. In doubles its take the gun to it, they try to find it. Its frustrating, but its why we keep going back I guess. Maybe I will do more fishing, I have never came back from the lake wanting to throw the fishing pole away like I do the gun or golf clubs, LOL.

9. Shawn

Shawn Member

Kevin
    After you shoot your first target you eyes are coming back to the gun. There is no way for the gun to beat your eyes to the second target unless your eyes have reverted to a closer focus. You could try Racer's drill it might help.

Good luck

Shawn

10. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

You are probably right, becaue I do notice the bead sometimes and its usually the ones I miss. Normally in caps and singles I dont see the bead. The ones that break, I have no idea where the gun is.

11. Shawn

Shawn Member

Kevin
    You have to figure out why its happening. It may just be a bad habit you have developed. It could also be a recoil/gunfit issue. If you are looking at the sight because you need to get re aligned to go after the second target that is a fit issue. Make sure you have a firm grip with your trigger hand it will help keep you on the gun. A lite shell for the first shot is a good Idea as well. I am shooting Federal extra lites for singles and my first shot of doubles and they are nice.

Shawn

12. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Kevin,

I do what Racer said, except my marks are 12 feet apart.

It really helps.

Mike C.

13. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

I shoot 1 ounce for both shots. I am a one eyed shooter, left eye dominant. I have just started using the magic dots and keeping both eyes open which seems to be helping, but is going to take a while to get used to. It does feel like a flinch sometimes but I thought it was because I was hunting for the targets and then pulling the trigger out of frustration.

14. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

When you put the x's on the wall, are you dry firing and then taking your eyes to the second x?

15. racer

racer TS Member

I never dry fire.(same pins in XT for 7 yrs now....) Just mount the gun, swing up a little to first X then look over to other X. Trust me it works. Dan

P.S - a multi time Wis. Double Champion showed me this.

16. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Kevin,

Yes, I'm dry firing with homemade snap caps. That makes it

feel more like the real thing. I eject and reload from my bag

just like being on the line. After I fire at the first one I take my eye

over to the second, gun follows. I've also got my feet lined up for the second

bird. In my living room the 12 feet is a bit radical, but at my age it helps

me to loosen up (67 yo). When you get to the range, it appears the targets are

easier. I learned this from Terry Jordon. I also have his wall chart, but

thats out in my shop, hence the living room.

Mike Cunningham

Groveland, CA

17. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Slow down and work on technique. Be more deliberate with your eyes and swing. Begin with the basics and build on that. Right now just throwing the gun around not knowing where its going isn't going to accomplish anything..no matter how hard you try.

18. MXSHOOTER

MXSHOOTER TS Member

concentrate on seeing the targets not how fast you can pull the trigger

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Kevin,

Try shooting the first bird closer to the trap house, then when you go to the second bird it will be above the gun and easy to find. HMB

20. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I was told in a lesson with a pro, SH, that you can not shoot the first bird fast enough.

If you see the first bird break, your going too slow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.