1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles Protection....How do you shoot this?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by powderburn, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi All,
    I am curious as to how these are shot. Could someone out there enlighten me? What yard line, do shooters alternate their calls for targets, etc. How many shots in a round? Thanks for any direction!
    -powderburn

2. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

sniff sniff ??

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Not biting!

4. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi,
    Don't know what the problem is..........honest question. I have heard of these being shot at games clubs, but wanted to know how the structure is? Is it like a hi-gun protection, a regular protection, what? Don't get the sniff sniff comment or the not biting comment. Cmon guys, grow up a little.....

5. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

I would suggest that your partner has his gun raised and would need to follow your shot(s).If you miss the first bird he (she) would need to back you up and do the same on the second shot. Sounds like great fun. Good luck-This is just my suggestion though.

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Doubles protection shoots are a blast. Here in the Pacific Northwest, we shoot them from 27 yards with added spring and with the trap oscillating. Shot just like a backer. We shoot 6 pairs from each post, for a total of 60 targets, alternating calls. Each shooter gets 2 shots. If one shooter breaks his target with the first shot, he can help his partner break his target with the second. We score only targets broken. If one shooter shoots at an already broken target it doesn't matter as long as both targets are broken. In other words, you can't overshoot your partner in this game. The object is to break both targets using 4 shots if necessary. This game is fast and furious. Payouts can be handled just like a normal backer. Trust me on this one: 60 straight is VERY, VERY rare.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi Dan,
    Thank you for your insights. We are just looking far another game to add to our fun here in central Indiana. I wondered about "overguns" doing away with those makes scoring ALOT easier, I bet. This sounds like alot of fun! Can't wait to try it out. -powderburn

8. sweeper1

sweeper1 Member

Try "TRIPLES".Modify the windage arm on a winchester hand set machine to hold three targets,this is done by extending the arm.Targets present as two angles as in doubles with a straightaway added.You need a lot of spring and elevation.Shot as a buddy or backer or protection shoot the right shooter must take the right target the left shooter must take the left target.If you hit your angle you then go after the straightaway,you can use both shots on your angle and hope your parther hits both.one set per post shot from 27 yards with machine set in center hole.This is a lot of fun and can be very humbling.The target setter must be given extra time as they are placing 3 targets rather than two but it can easily be done.We shot this for a long time and it is always popular
    Dean?

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I am going to suggest they try this at my local gun club, as there is only one club close that has a skeet and trap field together. Years ago we shot Buddy Doubles but that club closed it was near Logan Ohio out in the bo0onies and they had a sporting clays course also.

Will see what the interst is today.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. GIV1911

GIV1911 TS Member

We shoot this game at Brownsburg GC here in Indiana. We shot it from the 23yd line cranked the spring up on the trap each team member shoots 25 pair, 1st shooter must shoot at both targets second shooter can shoot both shells at the same target, first shooter broke target #1 but missed target #2 2nd shooter can shoot at both shells at missed target. A whole lot of fun. Seen a lot of 2nd birds broken a few feet off the ground give it a try. Bryan I also like to shoot wobble protections. How about wobble doubles protection?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.