1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles Problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

My last doubles score (93) reflects a problem I have had for a couple of years. Four of the 7 misses were the first bird from post one. The bird comes out at the correct angle but then curves to the right and gives me the illusion that it is a straight away from post one. This "curve to a straight away target" plays games with my poor mind and I tend to shoot to the right of the first bird. My mind tells me to shoot where the target is going, not where it is.

At times, I have tried to slow down a little when shooting the first bird from post one but That requires me to use a different timing rhythm on one of the five posts.

The rare times I shoot doubles well, I shoot the birds rather fast. This requires that I spot shoot the first bird but on post one, I seem to be shooting at the wrong spot. Can someone help me?

Pat Ireland

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Assuming you are shooting targets thrown from a Pat trap ... does it have the new updated finger for doubles? Bill Malcolm

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

LH bird first? No, really Pat, the correct way is to shoot the first bird first and the second bird ..... second. That should end your problems.

4. Doubles Shooter

Doubles Shooter Member

Pat, Try holding on the roof of the trap house. Watch for the target to appear and hit it as soon as you can. I've tried spot shooting and it doesn't work for me. I do much better holding a low gun and shooting as soon as my gun touches orange which usually lets me approach the second bird from below. Good luck.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

dblsshtr- I do hold on the roof for the first bird. When it appears I move quickly to a spot that covers the first bird. Most of the time, I do not see the first bird break.

Pat Ireland

6. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Might have some help here. Rarely do I miss first birds any more, two things first in Kiner's last article on doubles he stated you "should see the break" of the first bird. My guess is if you do not see the bird break your not looking at the bird??? I see my first target break, and I am also looking at it. The shot gets there so fast I do not know how one would manage to not see the target break if he/she were looking at it.
    Also maybe you are letting the slight curve away get into your head. You have mentioned nothing about post 4. If you are a rightie the first bird also does a curl away from the exit point of the house. Take a look at your breaks but do not admire them make that move to the second target.

GS

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You mentioned the cause of your problem in your last post. You said you do not watch the first bird break. If you do not see the hit on the first bird you will be unable to make an adjustment on following shots to keep your hits centered on the first bird. You need as much info as you can get for your brain to make the proper calculations to hit the birds. Watch the hits and adjust POA and Hold POINT when needed. HMB

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Kay Ohye recommends holding slightly to the outside of the first bird so that you are moving the gun in the same direction as your move to the 2nd bird as opposed to a radical Reverse in gun movement.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

miketmx- I do use the style recommended by Kay an all posts except one. I am already shooting to the right of the first bird from one. I just can't seem to get the visual perception of the bird curving into a straight away out of my mind.

hmb- I do not think I can closely watch the firs bird break and still get to the second bird by the time it has gone up 2/3 of its total height. I do like to shoot doubles quickly. That gives me less time to think.

Pat Ireland

10. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Pat , I really wish I could help but I suffer the same thing. I have shot a 50 on a trap and come back on the same trap and shot a 44. the problem is exactly as you describe. On the 50, the targets seem like they are being pulled up on a string that is attached to my barrel. On the 44, it is like targets are going place where they shouldn't. I think that my hold should be higher or I need to figure out how to get my eyes out on the field.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.