1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles Pro Tip

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by perazziuser, Sep 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perazziuser

perazziuser Active Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idXEd81Vzh4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Found my Pro Tip on YouTube. Not sure if/when it aired.

These tips are meant for two-eyed shooters.

Jeff Holguin

2. mooney

mooney Member

A gifted shooter, a great coach but more than anything Nora is a very courageous and wonderful person.

Mooney-Glenn Wedding

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the link Jeff!!

Hap

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Notice he said "it looks like a spot shot, but it isn't." and "There should be a small push to the target."

That is the best description of how to shoot the first target I've heard.

Notice his head was rock solid going to the 2nd target.

5. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

I shot four rounds of doubles today and tried looking above the barrel instead of under it and saw a significant difference. The target pops above the barrel but I expedted it which made it an easy shot. Also the concentration on the first target was reduced leaving the second target as the primary effort. Not a conclusive trial but definately one that warrants further application. The jury is still but it appears to be a good procedure for me...

Doc

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

After you go to watch the dubs vid, watch his other Handicap video. And in particular how he handles a gun. Gun handling is the key to moving up in class. Some of you that shoot Perazzi could benefit from getting a rubber comb for your stock. The rubber comb insists that you do not lift your face. They are extremely comfortable if you keep your face planted firmly on the gun. If you loosen up as the gun goes off, it bites your cheek. You learn quickly.

Thanks Jeff.

Jack

I erred. Joshua Richmond has the singles/handicap video. They have what appears to be Army apparel. And they pretty much utilize the same common skill-set.

7. Ray Collins

Jack,

I have a MX2000RS that I have been shooting about six weeks and it is rubbing my cheek raw. I purchased it from Dan Lokker who adjusted the stock to fit me at the Grand but it still rubs. The rubber comb sounds like a source of relief but it is neither listed on Perazzi USA nor Giacomo's web sites. Where do I find them? I found a gooey pad comb but no price. Do I need a new set of comb posts or does the soft comb come with them?

Thanks,

Doc

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Don't you just hate it when someone can keep his head firmly on the stock for the 2nd target!!

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Ray Collins, your stock needs more adjusting to fit you if possible! Sounds like the pitch may be wrong for you in addition? Even a wood comb won't hurt the shooter IF the stock fits him! Using the rubber comb just covers up an ill fitted stock set-up somewhat.

Hap

10. Ray Collins

Hi Hap,

I knew someone would post this. You are correct; I cut too much down pitch in the stock and the heel is now the pivot point. I will put a shim in to correct it so that the pad makes complete contact with my shoulder but I still want a rubber comb.

Doc

11. wlc

wlc Member

does anyone have the link to his video on handicap shooting?

thanks

12. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I find it hard to practice doubles with just one or 2 shooters..keep forgetting where the "magic" spot is...SMOKIT

13. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Skomit,
    Practicng doubles alone or with one other person is a great way to get better, MHO. Once you nail where you hold off the house pay attention to that place, no matter what house you are on it will be "similar". Because if you don't practice that way, how do you think you will be in a shoot off? To teach yourself how to shoot when you are not comfortable (short squad or squad leader) will give you confidence in any situation. That is how I look at it, that is one less doubt in the ol noggin when it counts.
    But then I am one eyed shooter and start right on the house on all 5 stations. Scott

14. JACK

Ray. Giacomo has them. You have to call and order one. Kickeze is ok, but a rdifferent shape. All you do is take the comb parts off your current comb and it installs with th 4 screws, no modifications. You probably will like it. They come in different sizes, so measure yours. And if you use it like Holguin does, they are really easy on yoour face.

15. Ray Collins

Thanks MIA; I will contact Dan today.

Doc

16. FNG

FNG Member

Could someone help a bit here; I'm missing something. He says, among other things:
    "Hold roughly parallel to the ground"
    "Don't look below the barrel"
    "Don't let the bird get above the barrel"

Where/when does he see the bird ?

Thanks for any explanation

17. JACK

He has a slight upward move and blocks out the bird. Covers it up completely.

18. perazziuser

perazziuser Active Member

FNG,

I never see a clear first bird. I shoot the "flash."

Jeff Holguin

19. John Pettibone

John Pettibone Member

When looking over the barrel you will still see the first target approaching the break point. Since you are certain you have put the gun in the right place to break the target, you pull the trigger. The target will break above the barrell. As soon as you pull the trigger, move your eyes to the second target. I only use a soft focus for the first target and not a hard focus so that I can quickly get a hard lock on the leading edge of the second bird. This avoids tunnel vision on the first target and only being able to look in the general area of the second target rather than the leading edge. You only need to really focus on the second target once you get comfortable breaking the first.

20. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Here is some information most here may not know. Besides being on the Army marksmanship shooting team, where Jeff came in fourth at the 2008 Olympics in China. He has also won the main doubles titles three times in his home state shoot in California. That was in 2004, 2007, and 2010. He was also runnerup at least once also.

Listen to what he is saying, he knows how to shoot doubles. And Jeff, thanks for posting the video. Tell your dad and mon hi for me.

Tom Strunk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.