1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles practice "poor man's doubles"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Border Bandit, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Doubles practice "poor man

I have the keys to the traphouse and have gone to practice by myself a few times. I want to practice shooting just the 1st target from each post, getting on it and breaking it as quickly as possible, then quickly swing to where the 2nd bird would be. The drill is known in these parts as poor man's doubles. You shoot that one, then swing to where the second bird would be, saving half the targets, and shells. Setting the machine for just a single target can be tricky, though, and I'm wondering if anyone would offer advice on the procedure with PAT Traps. Being alone tends to complicate things, and I'm wondering if it would make sense to set up a straightway from post 3, because that's the easiest way to set a target, although it would be the wrong position on the traphouse. Thanks in advance.

best....mike

2. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Doubles practice

You can do just what you want to, it is a simple setting.

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Doubles practice

I set the trap for the left angle. Shoot 4 and 5 as first bird, imagine the second; 1,2 & 3, shoot a make believe first bird, and a real second bird; then reset the trap for the right angle and reverse the procedure.

4. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Doubles practice

My opinion, you are wasting your time putting the trap straight away on post # 3. Set the trap for doubles, shoot one box of shells so you are shooting both birds. The second bird misses are probably 3 or 4 to 1 compared to first bird misses. Learning to shoot the second bird correctly is the fast track to high scores in doubles. I would start with a Terry Jordan wall chart, work on muscle memory, going through the motions "accurately" first, speed will come later. If you are interested in a way of shooting doubles p.m. your email to me and I will email you, "what worked for me". Keep in mind there are a pile of people on here that forgot more than I know on doubles. Just remember free advice is worth exactly what you pay for. Scott

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Doubles practice

Set the machine for doubles. Then find a friend who wants to practice the first shot. You shoot the left bird and he shoots the right bird. You both shoot at the same time. Take turns calling for the bird. When done split the cost of the targets 50/50. HMB

6. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Doubles practice

I'd agree with Scott on this one. Set it for doubles and shoot them. The speed will come sooner than you think for that first bird and it may not have to be shot as quickly as you think,depending on the targets and the weather conditions.IMHO

Steve

7. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

Doubles practice

Well said Scott.

Bud

8. wrd

wrd Member

Doubles practice

Try shooting 3 doubles at station1, 2 doubles at station 2, 3 at 3, 2 at 4 and 3 at 5. Thats 26 birds and you get to practice both birds on each station. Learning to shoot the straight-away and not learning to convert to the crosser is a waste of ammo. BillD

9. JT 27

JT 27 Member

Doubles practice

Set the trap for post 3 straightaway. For post 1, stand about 4 feet to the left of post 3, post 2 stand about 2 foot to the right of post 3. Post 3 on post 3 post get my drift, you alter where you stand so the straightaway is the same shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.