1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles Ponit of Impact

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Andy Ott, Feb 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Ott

Andy Ott Guest

Restless,I by no means am an expert in doublesbut the poi is going to be determined by how fast you shoot the first.I shoot the first target at 27 yards[approx]and have had pretty good luck with 90/10 for the first shot and 70/30 for the second shot .Imp cyl.& imp.mod..

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

My super x shoots both barrels at the same poi. You need to find what works for you, not me or any other poster on here.

Good luck, John

3. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

It makes sense that on the first, rapidly rising bird the bottom barrel should shoot high, and unless you are a real quick shooter, the second bird is flattened out or thinking about dropping, and I would want the top barrel to shoot pretty flat. HOWEVER, there are very few guns you can make do that! I can't with my Beretta. So I shoot above the first bird and under the 2nd. But, that doesn't seem like that is the BEST way, it is the only way with my gun.

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I am also one who likes my doubles POI exactly the same as my singles gun. If you are a super quick shooter, .012 and .018 will do. My preference is for .016 and .024; however, my last barrel was .018 and .030 and it didn't seem to make any difference. My current barrel is .022 and .031. I have to be careful on the first shot. No problems with the second.

I take the first bird at 23 yards when I'm on form and 25 yards when I'm slow.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A Remington 3200 and a K-80 have front barrel hangers that can be changed to adjust the POI of the bottom barrel without disturbing the POI of the top barrel. These are both good guns to get your POI fine tuned for doubles.

If you learn how to trap the first bird you can use a skeet choke and the POI does not matter too much. The POI of the top barrel is much more important. One of the keys of doubles is finding the top barrel POI that works best for you. HMB

6. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

i must have patterned ioo guns over the years and found that 90 % of them shot the bottom barrel dead on and the top barrel higher. i know that browning and others know what they are doing, then i realized the first target is usually closer and the second is farther and rising (trap doubles or real birds) the guns are set to cover most of the targets.

7. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I like both barrels to have POI 50/50.

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

fearlessfain, I believe you patterned ioo guns over the years, because you say so. However, you conclusions are all wet. ANYBODY who regulates (ha ha, what a joke) their O/U so that the top shoots high, didn't regulate them, and is selling you a bill of goods. What you suggest is not only counter intuitive and counterproductive, it is antithetical to what any knowledgeable double shooter wants.

9. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

Harlan Campbell, in his new video on Handicap and Doubles, says they should both be the same POI. As I recall, Kay Ohye says the same thing.

Eric

10. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

tell that to browning.

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Restless....My DB-81 shoots both barrels exactly the same. The POI is 75/25, and the barrels are choked .020 on the bottom and .034 on the top. I take the first target very quickly and take the second target at about the same place I would take a 20-22yd handicap target. My O/U barrels shoot to the same POI as my single barrel does. I also agree with zzt, above, that your doubles gun should not shoot the top barrel higher than the bottom unless the gun shoots the top barrel first, and it shouldn't do it even then. In all the years I have been shooting trap, I have never seen a gun that either came from the factory that way, nor one that was set up to shoot that way on purpose if it shot the bottom barrel first.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.