1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

doubles POI Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by $$$SHTR, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

A question for the doubles experts out there. I'm confused on what POI you use for each barrel. I hear a lot of guys say you need a high shooting gun for doubles. I would think you would need a higher first barrel and a flatter second. Also, on a gun like a Browning, isn't the POI between the barrels fixed?? What have some of you done to get the correct POI??

Thanks,

Tomas

2. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Very good question.

I look forward to reading the discussion on this.

3. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I personally like the first barrel to shoot higher than the second AA 27 AA.

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Besides the exotic guns, how can you adjust the POI of one barrel and not the other?

Bryan

5. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Conventional wisdom seems to be, as you note, that in doubles it is best for the first (usually lower) barrel to shoot high for the first shot (a rising target) and the second (upper) barrel to shoot a bit flatter, since the second target is normally slowing down by the time you get to it. Many over/under barrels are regulated this way (My Beretta 682 o/u barrels shoot this way, for instance). While this difference in POI between lower and upper barrel is, of course, set/regulated at the factory when the barrels are put together, the actual POI will, of course, still be set by the shooter, or adjusted through use of the adjustable comb, or rib (which is now sometimes being used on o/u barrels). That is, you could set your comb so that your POI using lower barrel is, say, 80/20, and the lower barrel might then have a POI of something like 60/40 (or whatever difference in POI the factory set them for), perhaps only 70/30 for the lower barrel and then the upper would be(in this scenario) 50/50. A few guns (such as K guns, and the Remington 3200) have replaceable/changeable barrel hangers, which allow a user to change the lower and upper barrel relationship a bit, so these guns could have a user change in upper and lower barrel POI.

Jim R

6. Ted Alsteen

Ted Alsteen Member

Pump Em then you dont have time to worry about the POI. Boom Shuck Boom!!!!!
    LOL

Ted

7. Remington STS

Remington STS TS Member

Both barrels need to shoot where you look, it doesn't matter if it shoots high or low as long as it comfortable for you and you break targets. Any big time shooter will tell you that I shot a Browning Citori as my first doubles gun it shot very flat, I know have a Kolar combo that can be adjusted but it shoots as flat as the Browning because it shoots where I look. STS ATA#0312457

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I had a Skb 505 combo set at one time. In doubles I shot it the conventional way, the bottom barrel for the first shot and the top barrel for the second shot. I shot terrible double scores in the high 70's and low 80's.

One day I decided to shoot the top barrel first, and the bottom barrel for the second shot. It was like I was shooting an entirely different gun. I was consistently shooting in the high 80's to low 90's than.

Consider trying what I just mentioned.
    Steve Balistreri

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Maybe it depends on your technique. I like my doubles gun to shoot both bbls pretty close to the same POI, and pretty flat maybe 60/40 at most. I hold on the house and chase the first target with all deliberate haste. Them that traps the first target might do better with a high shooting first bbl & then a flatter second I dunno'? I've tried the trapping thing and it didn't work for me.......

John C. Saubak

B 23.5 B

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The key to good doubles is the second shot. If you spot shoot or trap the first bird the POI of the first barrel doesn't matter. This allows you to set up your gun for the second shot.

If you watch the ISSF video of the World Cup Mens Double Trap event in Chile you will see that all the olympic class shooters trap the first bird. It has been posted here the past few days. HMB

11. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Please explain what you mean by "trap the first bird".

12. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

The target comes out of the house at the same angle. You point your gun towards that first bird and when you call for it the moment you see it you fire, thus trapping the target. At least this is how I understand it.

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Trapping the bird is when you hold the gun level a few feet above the trap house on the line the target travels on. When you see the bird leave the trap house you do not move your gun until you pull the trigger. This method allows you to shot the first bird very quickly. As soon as you fire the shot you move to the second bird. HMB

14. Remington STS

Remington STS TS Member

You should never spot shoot or trap the first bird. These means holding your barrel in one spot and waiting for the target to be there. If the wind picks up you are screwed, you should make a short move on the first target holding at a comfortable height and looking for the target in an area, not a very big area but a small area even on Pat traps (especially on windy days) the target can come out at slightly different areas. The first target should be shot as quick as possible with control so you have more time to shoot the second target.

15. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Ahhh ok so basically the same as spot shooting. I thought it was something else.

Also I am pretty sure that there was discussion a while ago and the general consensus was that it was bad to spot shoot like that.

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Remington STS why do you think all the world class olympic shooters spot shoot the first bird? HMB

17. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

vpr80 that would be the correct consensus unless you are hmb then it is common place every day advice.

BTW hmb why do you think that all or almost all those who give classes don't teach it as the right thing to do.

Bob Lawless

18. Remington STS

Remington STS TS Member

HMB totally different sport, I've never shot it so I have no idea if they spot shoot or not but I would say that because the speed of the targets? They are going so much faster than ATA targets double the speed I believe so wind doesn't affect them as much. I am just going by my experience and what top shooters have said that I have talked to. I have never seen anyone have consistent success spot shooting the first shot nor have I had consistent scores spot shooting the targets.

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Bob did you look at the video? HMB

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Remington STS watch the video and you will see shooters having success trapping the first bird. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.