1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles or Wobble? Which draws more shooters?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Porcupine, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I'm preparing a capital disbursement request to submit to my (single-trap) Club for a new trap machine, and the Trap Committee wants to offer more than just singles and handicap. Which would be better to offer, doubles or wobble, from a revenue-generating perspective? Which discipline would shotgun shooters be more likely to try, and stay with? My Club does not throw registered clays. Thanks.

Porcupine

2. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Wobble starts out with participants then goes down hill until it sets empty at most gun clubs. If you have registered shooters they will always use a doubles trap.

jim brown

3. bigben

bigben Active Member

Porupine, if your trap club purchases a Pat trap that is set up at the factory foe wobble, you can do it all with one unit, singles, doubles, wobble doubles[a real gas] etc. incinerate em!

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Doubles

5. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I would vote for the Wobble trap over the Doubles trap, but my vote may not be typical of what most trap shooters would prefer.

I prefer Wobble because each and every target is unpredictable and challenging. Doubles, on the other hand, is not varied at all. It's the same old same old, time after time. The first target of doubles is almost a "gimme". What challenge is it to break a straightaway target that you know exactly where it's going and is only about 32 yards when you shoot it? The challenge to doubles is who can get to the second target the fastest and break it the most often.

Doubles costs twice as much to shoot as a round of Wobble yet 50% of the targets are practically gimmes that you have to waste a shell and clay target on. Why not save your targets, shells, money, and time and shoot at targets in which EVERY target is a challenge?

6. tjcutter

tjcutter TS Member

My club sounds similar to yours. We do have some registered shooters but we do not throw any registered targets. We just got a new Pat Trap that does it all. We use the wobble way more than we do doubles. The guys who are mostly shooting for hunting practice love the wobble. In fact some of them are very good at it because they snap shoot it like they would if hunting. If I had to make a choice for a small club I would definitely go with the wobble over the doubles.

Tom

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Doubles. My idea of a perfect one day trap shoot is 100 singles, 100 handicap and 300 pair of doubles. I suspect not everyone would agree.

Pat Ireland

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The doubles machine throws twice the number of targets in the same amount of time. The club makes twice as much money. Most clubs buy either a Pat trap or a GMV Superstar which throw both singles and doubles. HMB

9. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

My club has one Superstar with the wobble option (along with about eight others without). It is fun to shoot, but we throw at least twenty rounds of doubles for every round of wobble.

10. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

I am with Mr Ireland - lots and lots of doubles

11. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Like jim brown says...

A local club has a wobble and I have no idea when it was last used. It did start off strong.

As suggesed, you could get the PAT trap with the wobble option if you there is a demand for one.

12. sweeper1

sweeper1 Member

We throw wobble doubles.We set the low birds a little higher and go for it.At first some shooters complained but once they tried it they love it

dean

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

dean- I shot ATA registered doubles at one club that must have duplicated your set up.

Pat Ireland

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Get the Pat trap machine that does all,,,,As far as what events get better turn out, most doubles events get a poor turn out. Lots of guys love doubles at our club. When they seem to be there all at the same time the last few squads will shoot doubles. A few reasons why our club doesnt throw many doubles. Lots of guys have single shot, would rather shoot 2 rounds of singles, most guys at our club stink at it. Me I prefer the doubles at mid way up the concrete its fun. We seldom offer any real contest, no big prizes. Our club shoots are for bragging rights. I have been pushing a 25s pool for a side pot. maybe our next special shoot, new years eve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.