1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles...no interest....what's wrong?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DaveXT, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

Doubles...no interest....what

After 1 year of shooting, I have no interest in shooting doubles. Are there a lot of shooters who just play the singles?

Dave

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I do....but then again I don't have a combo or doubles gun.

3. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

Lots of whiny brats complaining about how semis eject shells.

Guess what type of doubles gun is most affordable?

4. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I had no interest in doubles until I starting getting serious about learning how to shoot it. It is now my favorite trap game.

bluedsteel

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Judging by the number of squads typically I'd say about 1/3 of trapshooters don't shoot doubles.

6. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I devoted all of my practice and shooting to singles and handicap for two solid years. I wanted to feel good enough with those two events before tackling doubles. I now think it is time to put some time into doubles and what little I have shot them they can be frustrating to say the least. You have to shoot all three to be considered for high all around and high over all. My thoughts for starting to shoot doubles.

7. RAScott

RAScott Member

Doubles= FUN. Shootem and you'll have a blast. Bob S

8. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

To me Doubles are the most fun. I definitely am not very good at it, but I really enjoy shooting them.

I am only Class D, so you can see I am not very good. Again, I enjoy it and with a bit of arthritis, I only have to raise my gun 50 times to shoot at 100 targets v 100 times for singles or handicap!

Allen

9. 97Fxds

97Fxds TS Member

I just started shooting ATA last June and this is my first entry into the shotgun shooting sports. I love doubles! Its a different game than singles, different stance, method of presentation/ execution etc etc. I wasnt doing to hot till I shot last weekends 100 dbls shoot and took out 161 of 200, its starting to make sense and its fast, I like fast!
    Lawrence #1115123

10. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Dave,

if you have only been shooting one year, its unlikely you are really proficient at single and handicap.

When you are putting big numbers on the board in singles and handicap and earning yardage, then it will be time to take on the challenge of doubles.

Be prepared to have your ego takes a hit when you have to write a 75 or lower on your card. I think a lot of shooters can't face the reality that they will be writing down some low scores for a while.

Also doubles are usually shot at the end of the day.
    After waiting around all day to shoot singles and handicap most of us want to hit the road for home.

Clubs that throw the doubles earlier in the day, seem to have more shooters shoot them.

ed

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Doubles are fun. Wish I would have started shooting them sooner, but like others, I wanted to concentrate on singles and handicap before getting into doubles.

Over here I'm pretty much limited to shooting international doubles, which is more challenging, but still fun. Not many clubs even have a machine that will throw ATA doubles.

97Fxds, you said for doubles, <i>"different stance"</i>. I disagree. You should be using essentially the same stance at both singles and doubles (at least, this is what Frank Hoppe promotes in his clinics.)

Think about it; you should be setting your feet to shoot the hardest angle target without twisting your body up. Station 1, that's a hard left. Station 5, that's a hard right. Station 3, set your feet to be able to go either way. The other two are in between. Just like singles.

12. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

timb99 touched on one of the "secrets" of trapshooting.

And that is that all three disciplines are essentially, fundamentally, the same.

But the bottom line is that shooting doubles will help your other games. Doubles teaches you to look at the target and stay in the gun. Both of those fundamental items are also essential in the single target disciplines.

13. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

The club I regularly shoot at has only 2 traps and nobody wants to tie up one of them to set it up for doubles if only 1 or 2 people might shoot it.

The next closest club that shoots doubles regularly is 30 miles further away. I'm not really enthused about spending the extra money on gas and shells to go there to shoot something I won't ever shoot in competition anyway.

Mike Killian

14. copper

copper Member

I love doubles but eats a lot of shells quick

15. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Shooting doubles is challenging, but if you ever master it , its amazing what a gun and a shooter can accomplish. Very difficult to ever win high overall or all arround with out a good doubles score.They are fun as well.
    " Always Challenging "

Joe Woods/Ontario

16. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Its just Double the fun!!!.........Uncle Sam, Pa.

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Might as well shoot one station at Skeet. Then you can talk and socialize between shots. Might be more interesting if it was changed to wobble doubles from maybe the 24, or something like that.

18. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

We throw our doubles as the first event and usually have about 50+ shooters for singles & handicap, doubles averages about 25-30 shooters. It seems that most folks shoot better doubles scores if you haven't already shot 200 targets. Many of the folks that don't shoot doubles are always close by watching some of the more proficient doubles shooters. We've tried to coax them into joining the fray....after all doubles is the most enjoyable part of the program. So get off the sidelines and get into the game. V-10 is right, doubles will help improve your technique for singles and caps.

19. Raymobolt

Raymobolt TS Member

I started out as a very young shooter only competing in handicap. Little by little I added singles and eventually doubles to my shooting regimen. It took about two years for me to be competitive in doubles but after a few thousand rounds (and a couple marathons with uncle sam above) it's my favorite game. Not only do your scores increase in doubles but the singles and handicap scores will also increase. (in my .02 because you're shooting approx 1/3 more shells = 1/3 more practice shooting a target)

Dead Pair
    Raymo

20. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

If not for the HOA/HAA money, there would be little interest even at big shoots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.