1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles Load Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Apr 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I'm thinking of picking up a flat of 1 1/8 oz. #9 shot to use for the first shot of doubles. Any reason I shouldn't shoot 1 1/8 oz. of #9 for my first shot. I know, "shoot it and then report back" but I wanted to get some thoughts on this before I go and purchase it.

I use a skeet choke for my first shot of doubles too so take this into consideration. Any reason this setup (#9 shot and a skeet choke) won't consistently and reliably break birds?

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Other than the fact that 7/8oz loads are gods plenty for the first shot in doubles, I see no other issues.

ss

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

2 reasons are if you shoot too slow you may get dust no chip...LOST. The other reason is 1 oz of #9s produces less recoil that 1 1/8 oz of #9s.

Jason

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Personally I use 1 oz loads with a tighter choke for the 1st shot of Doubles.

5. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I may cut it back to 1 oz. of #9 but ideally I want it to be a cloud of shot with as many pellets as possible with a spread as large as possible but dense enough to break birds consistently. I want to try to decrease the time I spend on the first shot so I can break the second bird quicker.

I'll test this load out this week or next and see how I like it.

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

A skeet choke means you hope to break the first bird by being sloppy or trapping it. A poor strategy.

9's will break the first bird unless the temperature is stupid cold and you get a fringe hit.

Don Verna

7. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I wouldn't say the plan is to be "sloppy", just increase the acceptable margin of error.

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

#9s work just fine for the 1st shot in doubles!

Ignore all the other crap being said!

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

What Ahab says. Break-em all. Jeff

10. GOT A PAIR

GOT A PAIR TS Member

It might lead you to become sloppy.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you want to be fast on the first shot in doubles learn how to trap the first bird. I use a skeet choke and 9s, 1 oz of shot is more than enough to get the job done. The people who say trapping the first bird is bad do not have a clue. If you get a chance watch the video of the World Cup competitors shooting Mens Double Trap, they all hold a level gun with no movement and trap the first bird. HMB

12. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I use 1oz # 9 for the first shot Skeet choke. 1oz #8 for the second shot with a IC choke. Easy recoil makes a easy second shot. Work s for me.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The reason that it may not work out in the long run is that you will start missing targets. The small shot and open choke is not like you are throwing a wall sized cloud of lead out there. You can still miss and it doesn't take much. The shot size is probably okay (it is pretty small) but tighten up that choke so you can get a better idea of wether you are centering the target or not. If you don't have that continual feedback then you will start drfting off the target and ultimately get some losses.

Why not just run #8 for both shots and focus your mental energy on the targets not the ammo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best loads for trap doubles

how many ounces of shot for doubles trap

loads for trapshooting doubles