1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles - Leadoff Post

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Play Dead, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

Looking for some tips, advice or perhaps the benefit of discussion on shooting doubles from a "leadoff" position.

Why is it that there is never any trouble finding a post 1 open when squadding for doubles? Post one or any leadoff post presents a disadvantage in doubles since the shooter cannot observe a pair once they change from their initial post.

How do you set up for the first pair on a new post, especially considering your vertical hold point? Is it best to hold slightly lower on that first pair and adjust to the target height after you shoot the pair and observe targets from your squadmates? Is this more an aspect of the mental game or the physical set up for the shot?

Perhaps it is just a phobia that can be solved by practicing doubles alone or purposely shooting post one for a few thousand doubles targets.

Whenever I squad with friends, they are all reluctant to choose post 1.

Interested in your thougts or tips to overcome this shyness about leadoff posts in doubles. (Of course, you can be in the same situation on any other post if you are on a short squad.) Whenever I shoot leadoff it seems to cost me one to three targets per round...sometimes all of these are first birds.

Play Dead

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

On post 1 you are allowed to see a pair, when you arrive at post 2 accidently tap the microphone with you gun barrel, when you arrive at post 3 cough loudly. Are you getting the idea? This is the standard procedure used when shooting leadooff in doubles with voice activated targets. HMB

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I respectfully disagree HMB--not in my experience at least. The vast majority do not partake in the unsportsmanlike behavior you describe.

After a while you learn where the targets will leave the house from at any given post. Of course every house, machine, and weather condition will vary the exact point--but you will be close enough.

I've forced myself to learn to shoot from Post One as it opens up a ton of possibilities because of the phobia. I just lower and open up my hold point slightly on the first pair until I see subsequent pairs to fine tune the hold point for the last four pair.

I suppose those who "spot" shoot would be the ones most likely to shun Post One.

I know several VERY accomplished doubles shooters who would tell you that "spot" shooting the first target is ill-advised, especially for those without finely honed and proven skills.

For me the more I've done it from Post One, the easier it has become.

Guy Babin

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Guy, That was done in jest. To point out the leadoff man is not treated fairly. He should be allowed to see a pair on each station.

Also I watched the video of mens double trap at the World Cup. It appeared that trapping the first bird was common place. HMB

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

If the targets are properly set they always appear the same place so you KNOW where they'll appear and which way they'll be going. Lead-off or not if I have the opportunity I like to observe them set the traps for doubles or observe a squad shooting before mine just to see if the targets are well centered or not. I don't mind leading off at all.

John C. Saubak

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

In PITA shoots, the squad leader is allowed to see one pair at the start of each post. Not so in ATA.

But no big deal it still comes down to see the target, shoot the target - you may not have started the gun in exactly the right place but it will be close enough. 'Shoot the target where it is not where you think it will be', a bit of advice I got from Kiner.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I don't mind shooting post one at all, less walking? Changing posts make you "LOOK" for the sweet spot on that first bird and that helps too.

Good thing PITA doesn't use the old 15/10 15/10 format! That would be a ton of escaping birds for the entire shoot? 40 birds for the squad leaders to get through the 50 pair?

I always like Arnold Riegger's description on how he shoots doubles! "First, you shoot the first sob, swing over and shoot the second sob"!! I liked his KISS method on doubles a bunch!

Harem Crampbull:)

8. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

HMB, every time I shoot with a squad leader that does that I file a protest about it with the shoot officials and the ATA as soon as the squad finishes. So far I have not had to file a single protest but I still intend to.

Jim brown

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Good idea Jim, I think I will file a protest that the current rules do not treat the lead off shooter fairly. HMB

10. jim brown

HMB, go for it. Or you could run for office in the ATA if it ain't too much work.

jim brown

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jim, did you catch any Crappie today?

Hap

12. jim brown

No crappie today. Wind blowing about 50 mph. Did pretty good in Kansas week before last. Freezer getting full again.

jim brown

13. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

I broke my first 100 in Doubles starting on post 1, I tend to pay more attention to the targets if I am the leadoff man

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Here in the windy North, you'll never see consistant doubles any way, so don't bother trying to trap a target. They're never in the same place anyway.

I think few setters know how to properly set doubles, or are too lazy to give it proper effort.

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Trapping the first target helps take the wind out of the picture. HMB

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Post 1 is for the shooter "with a set"....

Sgt. Preston's Law of the Yukon..."The scenery only changes for the lead dog"

The rest of you know who and what you are.

Curt

FEAB9

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Post 4 is for the shooter with a brain. HMB

18. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

You are the man Curt.... see you soon I hope.

Guy

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I like either 1 or 4. Since I shoot the "straighter" target first, you only have to change first target selection once.

20. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I agree with setterman, I'm amazed at how often you find poorly centered doubles. I mean JEEZE........it ain't that hard to center 'em!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.