1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles Help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by J.Woolsey, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Last year I shot my first doubles, not well I might add. I use a 687 top single for singles and caps. I put the 30" O/U barrels on for doubles. I am an A shooter in singles, high 80 average in caps. It seems that I can't get past the 77 to 78 in doubles. I get the first one regularly, I'm right handed when I get to post 3, I switch to shooting the left bird first This is where I go to pot on the 2nd bird. I wondered if lowering the comb might be benificial. Any good advise out there? ( I think I am shooting over the second bird, not getting on it fast enough.) but it is still within range to smash if hit. I enjoy shooting them but my performance is demoralizing.
    Thanks JWoolsey 0515114

2. Bill60

Bill60 TS Member

how quickly are you shooting your first bird if you shoot can trap it out ofthe house ome u know where it i coming out so dont follow it from the house

I use an older browning citori combo it shoots fairly flatt so i dont have to loat it much i use im for first and full for second you dont need to shoot that second one super fast just make sure you get on it befor u pull the trigger

hope i could help

oh yea i also shoot the left bird first but people tell me i do it wrong but i do have a 95 doubles average

3. Bill60

Bill60 TS Member

sorry about typos i meant "how quickly are you shooting the first bird if you can trap it out of the house some so you get a little more time to get on the second bird do that i dont recomend you spot shoot beacuse of the windy days"

4. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Bill, I get the first one real quick, use Mod and IM chokes, I just haven't shot enough to know really what I am doing wrong. But I am doing something wrong on that second bird from post 3 on. One time I'll pop both looking like I know what I am doing, then Get the first, Dutch the second. I may follow up 2 or 3 2nd bird misses in a row on post 3,4, 5. always the second bird that is the problem.

5. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Don't know where you are located today, but tomorrow, March 7, Leo Harrison will be holding a one day doubles clinic at the Silver Dollar, Odessa, FL. Cost is a special day price of $150. Bring shells and pay the club for the targets. There are lots of things you can do to improve your doubles game, come learn from the captain.

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Check the impact areas of both barrels on a patterning board. These guns are notorious for not shooting to Point Of Aim - and Beretta will do nothing about it!

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

JW shooting doubles is an exact science. Inorder to solve your problem one or two fundementals have to be employed. You seem to be having trouble with the second bird. So we will start there.

First, find the break point for the second bird, that is where your shot hits the bird.

Second, set your feet so that your gun point is aimed at the break point. It is important that this is done stress free.

Final step, rotate your lower body so you line up to shoot the first bird. After shooting the first bird, look for the second bird, uncoil your body, and shoot the second bird.

It is very important that the POI of your second barrel is adjusted properly. Usually a flat shooting second barrel works best for most doubles shooters. HMB

8. ZELMO1

ZELMO1 TS Member

I had the same problem when I started. I had a local shooter( numerous state championships) watch me. He gave me a tip. Shoot station 3 right left. When you get to station 4 and 5, shoot left right. Shoot a hair below the second bird. Shoot just before you get to the target and swing through the right bird. This worked for me. My average went from high 70's to 91, 4 years. I am seeing the targets much better. I always get the second bird early. Hope this helps. Big Al

9. otnot

otnot Active Member

I have to agree with Jerry somewhat. It sounds like your lifting your head to see the second target. Move your eyes before you move your gun. What usually causes this is you move your gun with your arms instead of your waist which moves the gun away from your face. From station 4 and 5 shoot the left bird first and1,2 and 3 right bird first for right handed people.

The way I learned to see the second target, was to tape two orange dots on a wall and practice taking the first target then moving my eyes to the second target followed by the gun.

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Hard to say without watching you shoot but FWIW;

Most right handers take the RIGHT bird first on post 3. Also, (with ME) when I'm having trouble with the second target on post 3 I find it's usually caused by being in too big a hurry to shoot at the second target, that depending on the momentum of the swing from the first target to establish the correct lead on the second that works so well on the other posts blows me too far thru' the flight line of the second one on post 3. If I tell myself to hesitate just a moment before firing I'll start hitting 'em.

On all posts in doubles;

Let it ALL hang out on the first target, then proceed to the second with all deliberate haste. As always STAY ON THE GUN!

John C. Saubak

11. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Thanks to all, a lot of good sounding advise. I will be trying several of the tips given. Thanks again J.Woolsey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.