1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tcr1146, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Not sure if any of you can help me, but I will try to explain my problem!? I am a recreational doubles shooter with very little opportunity to practice! Therefore, I have not mastered this part of the game. In fact, normally carry in the high 80s average to the low 90s the last two years with an occasional good score! I shoot a 682X (top barrel first due to impact problems) and bottom second. The gun weighs 10 # and 3 ozs but it kicks the shit out of me!?
    I have it set up exactly like my Lgun which I use for singles and caps! The Lgun weighs slightly more that 9.5 # and it does not bother me at all even using 3 dram shells for caps with 1 1/8 oz shot! For doubles, I use 1 oz at 1145 for first shot and 1 1/8 oz at 1145 for second shot! I have a 1 " thick Kickeeze pad on both guns and the pads are in good condition! This 682X never, I repeat never kicks me in the face or bothers anything other than my shoulder. In fact, as I am typing my damn shoulder hurts and is slightly bruised! I am wondering if I am getting sloppy and slightly coming out of the gun and having to remount or is there something else to look for? Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated! PS Broke a 93 yesterday and it was the first time on doubles since early Sept 2006. Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Is the 682 fitted? You may have a part of the butt digging in ( top probably)Are you allowing the gun to recoil off your shoulder on the first shot, and then taking the second shot with the stock slightly off your shoulder? 1 oz 1145 loads shouldn't cause enough recoil to pull the gun off.

Check the pitch. Lean both guns against a wall at the same angle, and see if the pitch (angle of butt) is different. If so, take it to a stock man to change the pitch on the 682. May require a new pad as well.

3. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Sounds like a fit problem to me, also. But, 682s have a pretty hefty kick reputation. Get a PFS and you can solve both problems. Plenty of adjustments for fit and recoil can be adjusted so that you stay right with the gun for that second shot. IMHO.

JON

4. golfer

golfer TS Member

Hey Tom, sounds to me like you are not getting into your gun or are you just trying to set us up when we meet at Cardinal in May.You were not paying attention at my last clinic when I said you and your gun had to become one, get into it. Looking forward to seeing you and Linda, Bob Batke

5. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski TS Member

Had my 682 fitted and equiped with a soft touch. Really feels good and I think I'll like it even better as I get more shooting done.

6. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Thanks to all. I am going to check the pitch but it seems to me if that was the problem, the gun would beat me in the face?! It does not do that! Tom Rhoads

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If the gun is mean to you, sell it, and buy one that treats you right. HMB

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Having your doubles gun set up just like a singles gun is not recommended. Get some help from a reliable shooter with a good understanding of what your needs will be to set up a doubles gun.

9. Doc G

Doc G Member

Tom,
    The answer to your dilemma is VERY simple - you obviously need a much more expensive gun, like say, a new MX2000 or at the very least a Kolar with upgraded wood. We all know more expensive guns shoot better!

Actually, I prefer you stay a "recreational" doubles shooter as you describe yourself, since that is the only event I have a reasonable chance of beating you in and recouping all those wagers I lost to you last year. So don't change a thing and give the rest of us a chance.

Another thought just occurred to me. Have you tried the "grass-staining" technique you are so well-known for in this part of the country? You shoot your Lgun quite well with the grass stain on it, so perhaps you need to employ that technique once or twice with your doubles gun. Just a suggestion.

Looking forward to seeing you this summer at Cardinal.

Doug Gormley

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.