1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

doubles height set up??/

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wolfram, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Make a hoop out of 3/4" conduit to get the elevation. You place the hoop 10 yards from the thrower and the center of the hoop should be 9 1/2 feet above level ground. Targets thrown trough this hoop should travel at least 44 yards from the trower but not more than 51 yards. That measurement can be tricky if you don't have level ground, in which case buy a radar gun.

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

What kind of trap are you using?

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Distance is easiest to determine with a radar gun. The right bird should be 39-40 MPH. Height is usually set by an experienced doubles shooter looking at the targets as the angles are being adjusted. It can take a few pair to make sure they are the same height. Most clubs set the doubles just a bit higher than the singles.

I have never seen doubles set with a hoop. I haven't seen singles set with a hoop either, but I am sure some clubs use one.

Pat Ireland

4. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

A Bushnell Radar Gun is an inexpensive addittion to any club..They can be had for about $50 or $60. Check Radio Schack or the internet. With a Pat Trap, set a straight away at approx 51 MPH and then change over to doubles. Right bird will be about 38 MPH/ left slightly faster. The field may have to be bumped slightly one way or the other to center it. Raise the machine about three or four notches and get someones opinion as to height. I've even set the angle with a magnetic base protractor (about a $6 item at building supply) at 25 degrees trying to get them "just right". (They are never right for some) If they are uneven in height, move the "finger" foreward to raise the right bird or back to lower it to even the targets. In still air you'll find the targets will fly about 49 yds. Easy after you've done it a couple of times.

Big Jack

5. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

We have a doubles stake 10 yards out and I believe 8' over from the singles stake. This point can be established by setting the angles perfectly and placing the doubles stake on line with the target path. The doubles stake is 6" taller than the singles stake giving you a 9'6" target. Use your regular target setting stick on top of the doubles stake to set the height. Using a radar gun and the stake, you can set the height, speed, and angle very easily and quickly. All your traps will be the same and the shooters will appreciate it. It is very hard to eyeball the height from trap to trap.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have not been successful setting the height with an angle gage. For this system to work, the position of the trap in the house must be uniform on all traps. I do carry a digital angle gage with me but I just can't seem to consistently get good targets using the thing. Others apparently have better luck with the things than I do.

Pat Ireland

7. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

On a Pat-Trap;

After moving the machine up and increasing the speed by 8 turns set the speed with a radar gun. After you have set the right bird to a minimum of 39 m.p.h. move the machine to the left not quite as far as it will go. It will now throw the right bird as a straight away. While throwing both birds set the height on the right bird straight away with your 'T' bar. Bring the machine back to center and center the field. DONE.

Michael Stephenson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.