1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles Gun Setup

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shotgunjoej, Mar 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotgunjoej

shotgunjoej TS Member

Just put PFS on my MX14 and wanted to set up to shoot doubles only. Any advice for new doubles shooter on setting up point of impact.

Thanks

JOE

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Where's Pat or Neil when you need them. One of them will help you before the week-end is out for sure. Bob

3. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Joe,

I would set it up first at the same POI as your singles gun. I would start at about 70/30 and work up from there raising your comb settings.

Try shooting singles with each O/U barrel and adjust for smoked targets. Then shoot doubles.

4. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Ideally if it was possible you would want your open choke barrel to shoot very high, since your first shot is a fast rising bird. Since the second shot is usually flattening out or thinking about dropping (unless you are a real fast shooter) you would want your tightly choked barrel to shoot right on. (approx)
    With adjustable ribs and different size barrel hangers between some barrels, some people can accomplish that!

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Joe,

Please describe your gun. Does it have screw in chokes? If you adjust POI does it effect both barrels, or are they independently adjustable? HMB

6. shotgunjoej

shotgunjoej TS Member

The barrels have fied chokes M/F. No adjustable rib.

JOE

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Set the gun up so the second shot is as flat as possible (50/50). Shoot a light load for the first shot so you stay in the gun for the second shot. You will probably have to cover the first bird inorder to hit it.

It would be best if the first barrel shot high and the second barrel shot flat. Check it at the patterning board at 13yds from a rest and see if you are lucky and have one that is set up like that. HMB

8. old tex

old tex TS Member

My advice: Tighten the tension on the PFS so that you do not keep the stock compressed after the 1st shot.

It is imperitive that the gun return to "battery" before the 2nd shot or you will be missing 2nd birds that look like they should break.

This is especially true if you tend to "bear down" on 2nd birds.

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I hold my gun under and slightly outside of where I want to break the first target....I do not spot shoot it. I track it, shoot it and swing for the second target. Made me much smoother from start to finish on each pair, regardless of which post I'm on. When asked for advice, I've always adivsed that you practice shooting first targets only until you can shoot them comfortably fast. Then start shooting pairs. This was how Britt Robinson refined my technique at his clinic. That and shooting lots of practice. It's all about timing and consistency.

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Oh, and my gun shoots 10" high at 40yds (bottom bbl) and 4" high at 40 yds (top bbl). Works great for my speed and timing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.