1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles Gun opinions please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 686beretta, Oct 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

I am thinking about trading my SKB for a new doubles gun. I want a gun I can adjust the comb. The candidates are a Beretta O/U, Remington 1100, CG, Beretta auto, or Browning XT. Pros and cons, and opinions please. Have a great day everybody.

2. vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay Member

Why not have someone put the adjustments into your current stock?

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Why not consider the KING of all doubles guns -- a Remington 870?

Haven't you ever heard of Rudy Etchen? LOL.

-Gary

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You left out the best of all doubles guns, the Remington 3200. HMB

5. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

If I were in your position, I'd wait until Dennis Devault comes out with his doubles gun...just me. Good luck!

milt

6. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

New Beretta 682 Gold E O/U, adj comb, 32" barrels. $3400.00
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

7. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

So when will Dennis DeVault come out with his doubles gun? Pricing?

8. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Contact Dennis at 330-456-6070 or at dennis@devaultind.com.

Tell him milt sent you.

Good luck

9. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

For a reasonably price O/U doubles gun, used with adjustable comb either Beretta 682 X trap, Beretta 686, Browning XT or Browning Special Trap.

You'll never have a problem getting parts for any of these if something breaks.

Any of these should be around or under $1800 cased depending on condition.

10. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

If you decide on an auto, I say Beretta wins over all other auto's. I have two a 390 & 391. The 390 has an SoftTouch with adjustable comb. Even though the 391 has an adjustable stock for cast and drop via a shim system, I had Rod at Rod's Custom install an adjustable comb. Both guns are great shooters. I also have a Summit grade Guerini that comes with adjustable everything, I consider this gun to be the best value out there, I'm extremely pleased with this gun.
    I've only owned one SKB, it was a 505 30" o/u. We didn't get along, so I sent it down the road. I have nothing bad to say about SKB's, they've been around for a long while. If you like yours, maybe the best route is an adjustable comb but there's nothing like getting a new gun..........

All of the brands you listed are good solid reliable shooters and choosing one gets down to what feels and shoots best you, none of them are bad choices.

Surfer

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

If you're going to shoot a lot of doubles, stay away from autoloaders. You may find one that will shoot well for a while but it wont last.

12. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

This is going to be about the same as asking a classroom of independent mechanics, "Which is the best brand of sparkplug?"

Mike

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you want to shoot good doubles it helps to have a gun that you can set up for the task. If you are going to pick an O/U and shoot light loads for the first shot mechanical triggers are the way to go. A Remington 3200 has a very fast mechanical trigger.

The first target in doubles is a fast rising target and the second shot is usually flat. It would be nice to have a gun where you can adjust the POI of the barrels for each shot. A Remington 3200 fits the bill. You can adjust the lower barrel POI by changing the barrel hanger. And you can adjust the top barrel by changing the height of the front sight and fine tuning it with an adjustable comb. HMB

14. Borderland

Borderland Member

Many doubles shooters prefer to not shoot on a squad with an autoloader in the mix...sooo before you consider that autoloader talk to some doubles shooters.
    That said, your SKB has a low profile receiver that feels lively in your hands. If it is in good condition, has 30 to 32" barrels equipped with choke tubes it will make a good starter to see if you like the game.
    Ken

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

+1 on the Rem 3200.

16. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Beretta 687 "Etchen Special". Get Mark to install an adjustable comb.

John C. Saubak

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

My vote is for a Browning XT. The 3200 was a good gun, but it has been out of production for over 30 years, has issues when it gets a lot of miles, and parts/service is not going to get better.

Depending on your build, a Browning will fill the bill.

18. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

You do not have to spend big bucks for a gun to have fun. Although an auto will work they are not always reliable for the second shot. Perfectly good O/U's can be had for $1-$2K. Old Belgium Brownings, Citori's, 3200's, SKB's, 101's, and more. You do not need all the fancy Doo Dads. Cut the stock to fit and bore the chokes to Mod & Full. You are ready to go.

If money is no object I would look seriously at a P or K Gun. Marc

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The XT or Beretta 682 would be great choices for you. Find a lightly used one and have Tron install the adjustable comb. Much better and less ezpensive than the factory option.

The 390/391 Beretta would be the only autolaoder that I would consider for this game - but why? The O/U is a lot more forgiving when it comes to maintenance and you have the ability to use two chokes as opposed to one. Also you don't need to be so careful as to when you load the gun and close the action with the O/U, with the auto you will accidently launch targets is you don't get this sequence down right.

20. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

i have been seeing a lot of mx8's around and reasonably priced, that's what i 'd buy and give it a little tune-up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.