1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles gun barrel length

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by snkypete, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snkypete

snkypete Member

What is the preferred barrel length for a doubles gun?

2. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

it is an individual preference what works good for me might not be worth a darn for you .dwain

3. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I follow this question closely, it comes up fairly frequently. The best doubles gun I have had was a 30" Citori Plus. I have also have had a 32" Citori Plus and currently have a 32" DT 10. I am seriously thinking about going back to a 30". I can't see where the 2" makes any difference, particularly in doubles.

Personal preference should be the guide...not peer pressure.

JON

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've got 30" bbls on my Browning ST-100...wich they were 32"....

5. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

I have shot both, 30" & 32". I havent noticed a big difference. I think the biggest difference is in the sighting plane. IMO Steve

6. Doubles/Bob

Doubles/Bob TS Member

Ljutic 73
    I want to help you out, nasty 30" barrels. I will go ahead and take that ST-100 off your hands and you can get you a 32" something.
    Damn those 30" barrels.
    Bob

7. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

One of the fastest doubles shooter I have ever seen has 28" barrels on his gun. Steve

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Bob....point taken....them are nasty bbls.....but I'l keep 'em LOL....wouldn't trade that gun for anything...and I may look for another another one for my son....helluva doubles gun and very underappreciated IMHO...

ron

9. Doubles/Bob

Doubles/Bob TS Member

Ljutic 73
    I kind of figured it would not be for sale but could not resist commenting about the ST-100 you own. I would love to own one as well. I have looked and looked and can not find one for sale. I would love to own one for doubles.
    All the best-Bob

10. tp

tp TS Member

There are a couple listed on Gunsamerica.

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

snky, borrow a bunch of guns and try them. You just never know what will work until you do.

I had no trouble moving my 8 lb Superposed Broadway with 32" barrels. I sold that and bought a 34/32 Beretta combo, because that was the "expert" thinking. What a disaster. Aside from the barells shooting to different POIs, they didn't swing the same. If I shot the O/Us, then went to the unsingle for caps I'd blow past the targets until I got used to the faster swinging unsingle again. The opposite would happen when I switched the other way.

I sold that combo. Two guns later I was shooting a 35" Perazzi unsingle and a 30" Remington 3200 for doubles. Both guns felt and handled completely differently. Maybe because they were so different I had no problem adjusting back and forth. I decided to make a 35" Perazzi unsingle into a combo, so I sold the 3200. All the experts told me that I would have no problem with a set of 32" (31.5" actually) barrels. So I bought a set of fixed rib barrels to "match" my 6-notch unsingle.

The experts were wrong. I like a high shooting gun, so I see a lot of barrel between my beads. That does not work well with very different barrel lengths. The huge, to me, difference in sight picture was disconcerting. Also, even though the weight stamped in the side of the barrels was the same as on the unsingle, the O/Us were almost 3 oz heavier and swung more slowly.

I sold them and bought a Perazzi 35/34 combo that was manufactured as a combo and kept the barrels. Even though the stampings indicate the weights should be different, they weigh within 1/4oz of each other. They swing almost identically, and the 1" difference in sighting radius is undetectable because both barrels have adjustable ribs and can be set up the same. I am now a happy camper.

Almost everyone told me to stay away from 34" O/Us because they were so heavy and hard to move. Bull. They move substantially better than did the 30" 3200 I had. Go figure. So if you want to avoid the costly mistakes I made, try before you buy. A certain barrel length will just feel right on a particular gun. A longer or shorter length will feel better on a different gun.

If you are trying to match guns, or a combo, all bets are off. I had zero problem switching between my 34" 9 lb. MX-15 for singles and caps and my 6 1/4 pound 29.5" 20b for doubles. Yet i did have problems with the Beretta combo and the mismatched Perazzi combo. Now I'm back to zero problems with O/Us so long most people told me I wouldn't be able to shoot them. You just have to try for yourself.

12. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

gslam is correct. The weight that works for you is more important than length. I had a K-80 w/ custom wood, 30" barrels. Though I shot well,and even scratched some 100's here and there, my new 32" barrels on the MX-8 swing better due to the weight, and the scores have showed it. It's a real tuffy to figure out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.