1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles First?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

How many of you shoot at a club that shoot doubles first?

2. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

I do.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Sometimes we will shoot doubles first thing if we finished the previous day with a double event. Saves on time for resetting targets.

Generally the shooters want the doubles at the end of the day because a lot of them don't really want to shoot the doubles and this gives them a chance to leave the club early. Kind of bizzare in my opinion - why the hurry to quit shooting? Also I think doubles are the best part of the trap game.

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I do, but I had to ask them to switch doubles from the third event to the first. I suggested that they start them earlier than the singles usually start (08:30), but they finally settled on 09:00. They have 4 traps and start them on #3 and move to #4 for the second 50. They averaged 5-6 squads last year. When they shot them last they'd be lucky to have 2. Doubles shooters around here seem to not mind showing up early. It makes the shooting day seem shorter as well.

5. UtahYork

UtahYork Member

Just attended a shoot at Spanish Fork and doubles was first on both days. Located at the mouth of a canyon, the wind dies down around 10:30-11am. Makes it nice to get doubles out of the way and have calmer air for singles and caps.

6. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

Sportsman Gun & Reel in Lorain, Oh. does. Just started shooting ATA there this year. I do enjoy the change. Not sure if it makes any real difference in time.

Greg

7. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Some of the clubs in these parts have 1 bank (4 traps) + a 5th practice trap. I know of several cases where they shoot the singles, first, then the caps; but set up the practice trap for doubles and allow them to be shot at any time. Just walk over, sign up on a squad, and shoot your doubles. It works very well and most like the arrangement.

best....mike

8. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I vote yes to Doubles first

9. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Never really thought much about it. There are two shoots here in the Northwest that I attend. They have both, in the past held the doubles on Friday afternoon, and then singles and handicap on Saturday and Sunday. I do like the idea of shooting doubles first and then followed by the other events on the same day.

Jim Bradbury

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

At West Chester Gun Club in SE PA we shoot doubles first on traps 3 and 4. We start singles shortly thereafter on trap 1. We average 2 squads of doubles shooters, so it doesn't slow up the match at all. When we shot doubles at the end of the day, no one wanted to stay around that long.

11. TrapperP2005

TrapperP2005 Member

AVGC IN SO CAL SHOOTS DOUBLES FIRST

12. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I'd rather just shoot doubles and forget about the rest! Seriously, I understand that some people just can't shoot them due to physical problems but they are so much fun! I took Leo's clinic a couple years ago and several people didn't even want to learn about doubles. These guys have no idea what they're missing out on. So what if you can't shoot them as good as singles, get yourself a doubles gun and get after it. Go up to Darien in June and shoot a 1000 doubles marathon and get rid of some stress. If you don't smile at some point while shooting them then you shouldn't be shooting trap and are incapable of fun.

13. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

Several clubs in my area shoot doubles first. I would also like to see doubles shot first at our state shoot and the Grand American at least on the days when doubles are the main event.

14. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

I like anytime doubles. Works great at the Tri County Trap Club shoot at Redlands Shooting Park. Great fill in for those long stretches between other events. If you are on a late singles or HC squad shoot your doubles first, if you are on a early singles or HC squad shoot your doubles last.

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.