1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles, First target is how far when broken??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Charlie Becknell, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

One of my buddies asked me how far the first target is from the shooting line when broken. He said 25 yards. I believe,on average, it is further than this. I know some people are like greased lightning but a average is what I am looking for?

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

WAG..............30 yds

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

I think your buddy is pretty close. There are some who are a lot quicker and others that are slower but 23 - 27 yards sounds pretty good.

--- Chip King ---

4. perazziuser

perazziuser Active Member

Improved Cylinder & grade your breaks. Adjust if needed.

Jeff Holguin

5. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Neat graphic. Good info. Thanks for sharing.

WNCRob

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Trapping the first target 21 yards, chasing the first target 25+ yards. HMB

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

If you're "trapping" the target at 21 yards from the 16 yard line, you're breaking it 5 yards off the trap...........I'd like to SEE you do that?

8. Mapper

Mapper Member

Put someone over on an adjacent(unused) trap and have them notice where your birds break, then measure it. You may be surprised, I know I was.

9. BMC

BMC Member

Old Cowboy - "If you're "trapping" the target at 21 yards from the 16 yard line, you're breaking it 5 yards off the trap...........I'd like to SEE you do that?"

How about less than five yards off the house, a lot less? There are people who can do that and even closer ;)

10. Old Fowler

Old Fowler TS Member

Hey Doc:

I think it all depends on who is shooting. It appears to me that you usually shoot your first doubles target about 5 yards out of the house!! Mine, however may be shot around 20 - 25 yards.

Please give our best to "the Trapper" and the Mrs.

OF - Cliff

11. Charlie Becknell

I have found that if I break my first target like greased lightning, I don't have control to break the 2nd target. Wish I could break them faster.

Charlie

12. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Charlie, just shoot the right target first on 4 and 5. Some of the faster "backwards" shooters really seem to break them right out of the house. Every now and then I get the timing right. It sure feels good when that happens.
    But in your case, I think that 3 minute wait before you shoot may be messing with your perception of how far the target is.
    Just messing with you......LOL Nubs

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

So...........let's make some rough calculations?

Now, the target's launched from close to point "B", 16 yds from the shooting line right about a half yard from the front edge of the house. So it travels 1/2 yd before it emerges from the house. My guess is (and it's just a guess?), that it travels another two & a half yards before it's even visible above the traphouse roof to a 6' shooter standing on the 16 yd line? Now it's 3 yards off the trap...., or 19 yards from the gun before it appears above the roof. If you're breaking it at 21 yards the target only travels 2 yards from when you first see it until you break it. Following me so far?

Now, if the target's traveling at roughly 60 fps it travels those 2 yards in one-tenth of a second. From when the shot leaves the muzzle at let's say, 1200 fps, it takes roughly 1/20th of a second to travel from the muzzle to the target appox. 20 yards away. That leaves roughly the remaining 1/20th of a second for the shooter to visually aquire the target and discharge the shotgun.

Anybody care to point out where my calculations are way off?

John C. Saubak

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

My numbers were measured from the front of the trap house. HMB

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Well I think you can compare where people shoot the bird to approximately the height of the setting pole. That's 30 feet out. If its lower its less...

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You're right, if it is half way up the pole you are 5 yards from the front of the trap house. HMB

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

actually, half way up the pole would be 3 yards out, if my calculator is right...

18. shoottilithurts

shoottilithurts Member

Old Cowboy, i dont think your calculations are way off, but there may be some wiggle room. the 6' tall shooter is looking downward to the front of the trap, so the target is visible before it reaches level to the front of the trap. the shooter that is trapping the target will have only to pull the trigger, ( no gun movement needed ), in the approx 1/15th of a second that is available after seeing the target at approx 2 yds out.

i watched a show a couple nights ago with bob munden, worlds fastest pistol shooter. drew and fired in .02 seconds then he used the same revolver to draw, cock, n fire six times in .1 second just type his name into a search and watch him do it. surely there are trapshooters that can pull the trigger once on an already aimed gun in .15 second? as long as you have been around, i'm sure you have already seen it done. i've watched my son do it many times...milt luther

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Milt,

I know what you mean. Around hear if you trap the first bird you are being a naughty boy. If they only knew. HMB

20. Charlie Becknell

Milt,

I have seen some pretty fast doubles shooters in my day. At 2 yards out of the house they would be breaking the target at 1 or 2 feet above the roof. The fastest 1st shot of doubles that I am aware of was taken by me at the Grand many years ago. I had borrowed my buddies release trigger which he said was "fast". I called and the gun went off at about the same time. My shot bounced off the roof and smoked the target. I was so surprised I did not even realize the target was broken. I guess I have not witnessed targets taken less than 3 feet above the house. Stef Carmichael is the fastest I have seen on doubles.

I have timed several shooters when shooting doubles for the time period between 1st and 2nd shot. I was amazed at the time of ~0.12 seconds, which seems pretty quick to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how far is a target broken on trap range

trap shooting distance targets broken