1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles Dilemma I need help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 686beretta, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Hey everyone, for most of this year when shooting doubles consistency is what I'm really struggling with, here are just two examples from the past week, last Saturday, 1st 5o I went 44x50 the second 49x50, today I went 42x50 then 47x50, does anyone have any insight, I have been shooting doubles for the last 5+ years. I average around 1500-2000 rounds a year.

I'm not sure if this info is important, but I am shooting a SKB, basically the way it came in the box, no comb, any other info needed let me know.

Please any help I would appreciate!!!

Thanks!

2. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Good scores congratulations. Post-2

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

By the looks of things, I'd shoot a practice before the program.

4. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Were these scores on different fields? Shooters often lose consistency between fields.

5. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

anyone else?

6. Gil

Gil Member

Beretta, The question is are you missing the first bird or second. I think the first bird is the most important by far. If you shoot it too slow, all kinds of problems follow. If it is the second bird, you need to practice more. I spend a lot more time correcting the first bird shot and let the second bird become more instinctive. Gil

7. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If all you shoot is 1500 to 2000 doubles a year the scores you posted are pretty good. Do you shoot practice? What kind of gun do you shoot for singles and 'caps? If you shoot a higher POI on your other gun you may be learning where the gun shoots on the first 50. Are you missing first or second birds? Is there a particular station that gives you trouble?

More information will help us answer your question.

If you really want to shoot better doubles, take a clinic from Leo, Harlan, Ricky or Dan, money well spent to learn a lot in a short time.

Shoot well,

Bob

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It looks like it takes your brain a few shots to figure out what to do. Maybe a little mental practice before you shoot will help. HMB

9. biff

biff Active Member

I'd be bragging if I shot scores like this! Barry gave you a good suggestion! Biff

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Looks like you pick up a few birds on the second round. Tells me you are a bit tense right out of the box. Over thinking? I guessing here.

A lot of things can go wrong in doubles. For me the lost targets are usually the second shot because I'm behind it and/or low. For you it could be completely different. There is a huge difference between breaking 84% and then breaking 98%, obviously you have the equipment and skill required to break good scores. Any known problems with eye dominance?

Give us some more specifics like are there certain targets/stations where the losses are occuring more frequently, are you smoking the targets or chunking them, ... anything you can think of.

11. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Quit missing 5 extra birds every time the first 50.

12. dimapower

dimapower Member

Your 2 examples don't provide enough data to determine any kind of trend. Show us a string of 10 examples, then we might be able to draw some potential conclusions.

Inconsistency, in general, is best resolved through consistent (i.e., do the same thing every time) and frequent (shoot more than 2000 rounds/year) replication of your routine (i.e., practice, practice, practice).

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

B 686, I wasn't being flippant in my answer to you. You may be one of us that needs to warm up with pre- event practice. Good luck.

14. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Thanks for the suggestions, and Mr. Roach no offense, I shoot the SKB 85TSS for doubles and a Kolar T/S for 16's and handy. the POI for the Kolar is 100% high.

I don't shoot practice in doubles, and honestly most of my misses on doubles come from post 4 or 5, case in point shot the doubles on Saturday, broke 42x50 missing at least one on every post, then turned around and went 47x50 all three came on the second target on post 4. I have tried in the past shooting the angles first on 4 and 5 and would swing past the straightaway. I have since gone to shooting them the "traditional" way.

Also, in response to wolfram, I most of the time at least 80% break up both targets pretty well.

Thanks everyone I really appreciate this, please don't hesitate to ask, I want to get better.

15. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

"PRACTICE".....Anything else is a waste of time and money. There is no other way...you cannot "trick of the week" yourself into being a good shot.

16. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

I took some lessons from local teachers, they told me I would be ok after another 5-10 Thousand targets. My point is you are not shooting enough to expect some consistancy in your scores. I don't shoot enough doubles either and my doubles scores suck also.

17. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I have no idea whether this will help, but you indicate problems on the righthand posts.

If you're missing on 4 and 5, it may be that you're either lifting your cheek off the stock or you're at the end of your swing range.

First, try paying attention to the pressure you feel on your cheek and second, turn a little bit more away from the trap house on the right hand posts. Leo suggested to me that if you're too square to the traphouse, you run out of swing, which may tend to make you shoot inside the second bird.

Something else that may help is to hesitate a fraction of a second on your second shot to be sure your brain comes up with the correct firing solution. A lot of shooters, including me, tend to hurry their second shot. Seeing the bird comes first, actually targeting the bird comes a fraction of a second later.

$.02.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.