1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DOUBLES CHOKES - 2d shot always full???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rcmax29, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcmax29

rcmax29 TS Member

Does everyone go IM first shot, full the 2nd in doubles? Or does anyone go MOD then IM on 2d shot. I shoot IM in singles but feel like my doubles gun is a bit too tight on the second shot. Or could it be all operator error? IM on second shot anyone?

2. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

I use IC and IM

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

If you _mostly_ shoot the second bird pretty darn fast, you won't need full. If you don't, you do.

Neil

4. rcmax29

rcmax29 TS Member

I'm on the second pretty quick - it is at least still rising. I can't put a finger on it but I just feel like I need a little forgiveness on my second shot.

5. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Mod [first] Improved mod [second] Nuff said..........

GS

6. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

rcmax29

My doubles gun is a Browning XT with factory original Invector Plus tubes. The tubes I use are labeled by Browning as full and improved modified. However, I've measured the tubes and Browning's labels are incorrect.

The so called full choke tube has 31 thousandths of constriction. That is, in fact, an improved mod. The IM tube has 18 thousandths of constriction which is a modified.

My point? Someone can tell you how a manufacturer labeled the chokes in his or her gun but until the choke dimensions are measured, nobody really knows.

For what its worth, I shoot quick enough the second target is still going up.
    In an average year I'll carry a low double A average on about 2500 registered doubles.

sissy

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

0.015", 0.030"

8. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

no, if your gun is tubed try something different. If it isn't tread carefully or you'll go past the point of no return. My favorite chokes in a .726 bore were .012 and .024. I shot fairly quick and would still leave smoke when I did my part right. I used 1oz of 8's both shots

9. gamehog2

gamehog2 TS Member

I shoot IC and Mod both smoked. I shoot a Krieghoff Trap Special #1 first #2 second.

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I shoot Lt. Mod for the 1st shot, Mod. for the 2nd. Briley chokes. If I do what I'm supposed to, the targets disappear.

Curt

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

No, you don't need "full" choke for the second shot unless you're shooting way too slow.

I should qualify that by saying the labels "Full", "IM", "Mod", "IC" and such are meaningless unless you know the actual constriction, for example; Browning's "Full" is the same constriction as Beretta's "IM", (.030"). Browning's "IM" is the same as Beretta's "Mod", (.020).

John C. Saubak

12. BMC

BMC Member

Full for the first, full for the second. I am thinking of going to Skeet for the first and IC for the second though.

13. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

I use IM and Full I like to see them turn to dust. Been thinking about going Full Full to really blow them out of the sky. I like to know that I'm on the target.

14. 682LINY

682LINY Member

started using mod /full,,,changed to IC and IM,,,scores went up

15. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

I shoot a 687 SPII, Top LiteMod, then the flatter Bottom Mod..

16. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

it all depends what you shoot, how you shoot, where you shoot, and on and on. I'm with Old Cowboy - the labels for chokes are almost meaningless. I shoot a Beretta 682, shoot the first bird reasonably fast, and take my time on the second. I use M/IM, and when pointed correctly I inkball the first and crush the second. My impression from target breaks is that my chokes are much tighter than many others, but that may be because they don't get cleaned all that often and have a bit of plastic buidup in them. Also most of my targets are shot at 4500' altitude or above. On the other hand the breaks don't change much at San Antonio, Hillsboro and Portland OR, Sacramento, Lewiston, or several other places at lower altitude. If what you're using works, don't worry about it. if it isn't, try changing it.

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My 1100 sho0ts mod for both targets.

HM

18. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

My super x shoots full on the first bird and extra full for the second target. Sometimes it takes awhile for the smoke to clear from the first shot to even see the second bird lol. Full for everything, one less thing to worry/wonder about. John

19. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

My brand new barrels came choked .018" and .030". They shoot tighter than they sound. The .018" vaporizes singles targets, even though I think that IS too open for singles. On the second shot of doubles the .030" either smokes them or chips them, nothing in between. So I think it's a little tight. I've said many times that I thought .016" and .024" are the ideal chokes for doubles, unless you shoot very fast. If I could wave a magic wand, that's what my chokes would be.

20. App2000

App2000 TS Member

nothing better than really turning that first target to absolute smoke with a full choke

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.