1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles Barrel Length

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kolar12, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolar12

kolar12 Member

This has probably been discussed before. Chokes for sure have. Why do some people love 30 inch barrels and some 32? When I bought mine, I chose 30" because I am not tall. It seems that most of the good shooters are shooting 32". I realize it is one of the "use what feels best" things. Hight should not enter into this, I assume.

Most shooters like the idea of the 32" swinging better. I have weighed 30" .740 bore and 32" .750 bore. They are exactly the same. They feel completely different on the receiver. I like the 32" feel.

Which do you think would take me out of this "pit" that I am in for doubles? And yes, I have taken instructions. I have shot over 30,000 doubles targets, most of them incorrectly. Comments? Gary

2. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Here is a question for you. what length gun does Ray Stafford shoot??? He would qualify for a short little guy. For me there is only one choice 32", As for your follies with doubles frustration, it is all about the first target. The way the first target is taken, sets up the pair, do the first target wrong and the odds of the dead pair goes way down. Also if your missing more than 2 targets per 100 on the first bird, that is where you need to start. [this is for experienced shooters only]My average bounces between 92-94, I may go 400 targets at times without missing a first target. Doubles is controlled agression, if your not ready to giddy-up at the line, your score will suffer.

GS

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Either barrel length will get you out of your doubles pit, it is all up to you. When you find the correct shovel to dig yourself out, may I borrow it when you are done with it?

Pat Ireland

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Me third; please! In most cases, I think the length of the barrel on your doubles gun, or any other really, is a personal thing. I always recommend test driving as many possibilities you can and let the one that stands out as your choice - likely different than mine or Ray Staffords too. In my case it's always been the 30" barreled gun that worked best though not nearly good enough. On the other hand I've got an acquaintance that had a K-80 built with 34" barrels for his sporting clays and I'd have two of those if I could shoot like him; darned young whipper snappers anyway, good eyes, good reflexes, big, strong, what a creep, eh?.....Bob Dodd

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Gary... Been there, done that! I had a set of fantastic 30" barrels that were very fast, felt good, balanced well, choked properly, and shot terrible. Other shooters could shoot it very well, and most raved about how they felt. I struggled to maintain an 88 average with them over several thousand doubles. I just never could shoot them well. I sold the gun and later bought a DB-81 Combo with a set of 32" (311/2") factory stock O/U barrels bored .020"/.032". My doubles scores immediately started to go up. The gun was a lot "smoother" to the target. I never feel rushed to the second target. I feel in total control of the gun while shooting doubles now, whereas, before, with the 30" barrels, everything seemed too fast and I felt out of control going to the second target due to the "whippyness" of the barrels. Since changing to the 32" barrels, my doubles average has been .948 over the past 800 doubles targets. Bottom line is this: I feel more comfortable shooting the 32" set. Doubles is all about gun control and trigger control. GS, above is also correct in stating that the first target sets up the pair, however, unless you have total gun and trigger control, breaking every first target won't solve many problems. Note he said doubles is CONTROLLED aggression... Just my experience....Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. kolar12

kolar12 Member

I have been told that I shoot the second target too soon (fast). I think that once I get used to the longer barrels, my timing will improve. I usually do not miss the first target. Have tried everything including spot shooting. It seems that the hight of the gun, when you call for the pair, on the house is a big factor.

Thanks for the input.

7. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

a friend of mine once hit 99 doubles with a 26 inch browning broadway trap (yes a 26 inch broadway) it's all a matter of weight and balance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.