1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles barrel: choke tubes or no - how come???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rickmcq1, Nov 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickmcq1

rickmcq1 TS Member

Marlon that is just a personal preference. I have both types and I also do alot of hunting so for me tubes work best just due to the fact that I can remove the full tube for waterfowl but at the same time if you make the gun all purpose then you have less excuse for buying more guns. I personally prefer tubes, but that is just my opinion.

2. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Hi Marlon
    I use CT's in my doubles. Normally use IC for first bird and IM for the
    second bird. Under real windy conditions the CT's allow me to choke up.

Maybe a LM or M on first and LF on second. If I was a "AA" doubles shooter,
    I probably wouldn't need to do that.

But that doesn't really answer your actual question. I carry a backup which
    is a Citori Plus. Have the comb and rib adjusted just like my combo.
    If need be, I can use it for Singles, Handicap, or Doubles. That's my reasoning
    for the CT's.

I know others on the Forum will have another answer for you that might fit
    your situation even better.

Mike Cunningham
    Groveland, CA
    ATA Life Vet

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Having choke tubes can be an advantage when you are starting out as a trap doubles shooter. The faster you get at taking the birds the more open a choke can be used. The choke tubes will allow you to fine tune the gun to your shooting style.

Another thing to consider is the POI of each barrel of your O/U. For example, is the second bird still rising when you shoot at it? Or is it dropping? If you are shooting at a dropping bird, with a gun that shoots high, you will not be a happy camper. HMB

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Marlon... I prefer fixed chokes for my doubles gun. I found that 32" fixed choke O/U barrels to be just the right ones for me on my Perazzi DB-81. The barrels on the O/U are bone stock from Perazzi with no modifications at all. Bottom barrel is choked .020", and the top barrel is choked .032". I have had choke tubed guns in the past and just didn't shoot them as well, and was always fussing with the right choke to use depending on the conditions of the day, etc. Now, by shooting fixed choked barrels, I no longer worry about all that and just concentrate on shooting the targets. All my target shotguns are fixed choked barrels. I have not found, over the many, many years I have been shooting clay targets, any advantage to support either choke tubes, or barrel porting. Just my personal opinion... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Marlon, like Dan all my trap barrels have fixed chokes. Since I only use them for trap, that's no disadvantage. In fact, I believe it an advantage. That's why I did it that way.

However, you want to shoot more than one game with the same gun. Go for it. Get a good O/U Sporting gun with adjustable stock, or an International Trap gun with adjustable comb. Check out all the tubes that come with it to make sure they shoot to the same POI.

BTW, if your Skeet rig has choke tubes, try it for trap and sporting. There is nothing wrong with 30" barrels for any game. It all depends on how the gun swings for you. If I was buying a 3200 of Krieghoff O/U, it sure would not be with 32" barrels. Too slow for me. Now if it was a Beretta or Perazzi, it would be 32" barrels for sure.

BTW2, go to a trap club and make yourself known. As about the guns you see there. Odds are the owner will ask if you want to shoot it. That's how I finally decided which gun I wanted (after owning 3 that didn't measure up). After trying lots of brands and types, a certain type just felt best to me. That's what I bought, and I haven't wanted to change brands since.

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Marlon,

If I'm at your classification table, you'd be no lower than A class. There is something called known ability that comes into play. A skeet all american will have no problems with trap doubles.

As far as barrels, fixed choke .020&.030 will do just fine reguardless of how well/quick you shoot them.

My trap doubles guns are very poor sporting/skeet shooters. I have other guns that fit that need much better. I suspect that your abilities will keep you from making a trap gun do double duty.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.