1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles Avg. Above 88? Question on Chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rdf59, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdf59

rdf59 Member

If your Doubles average is 88 or above, I would appreciate your comments on chokes and shot size. What do you use?

If you are not above that avg (I am not) I would still like to hear your comments on chokes and shot.

2. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

Full choke Remington 1100, using 1 ounce of eights for both shots, averages from 94-96.60% in the last 7 years Dennis Whitlock

3. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

.015 first bird and .027 second 8.5 first bird and 3 dram 8 for second

4. BMC

BMC Member

97% doubles average. IC and Full. 1-1/8 #8 first shot, 1 oz #7.5 second. But to be perfectly honest it is my opinion there is no magic shell combination. Use what works for you and your barrels/chokes. I switched from 7.5s to 8s in caps because my caps gun seems to like 8s better than 7.5s. My full choke in my doubles gun likes 7.5s over 8s. You just need to experiment a little and find the shot size/load size that gives you the performance you are after. I think in the end you will probably discover that you can get good performance from either size shot and pretty much most load configurations you feed through your gun, particularly when it comes to doubles. Just find the one that you think works best for you. I have plenty of AAA double shooter friends and they all use something different.

PS- If you are looking to up your average, you'll get the best results from time on the line shooting as many doubles as you can. 99 percent of the lost targets in doubles doesn't come from lack of shot quantity or size, the powder pushing it or the chokes spitting it out. Its that gray matter stuff behind our eyes that is at fault :)

5. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

BMC

"""PS- If you are looking to up your average, you'll get the best results from time on the line shooting as many doubles as you can. 99 percent of the lost targets in doubles doesn't come from lack of shot quantity or size, the powder pushing it or the chokes spitting it out. Its that gray matter stuff behind our eyes that is at fault :) """

WELL PUT BMC

Doubles, just like 16's and Handicap is about 99% mental

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Doubles is 99% having a gun set up to match your shooting style. Chokes and POI of each barrel are very important. .008 and .023. HMB

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

First shot, light loads with something around Mod. to Improved Mod. choke. Second shot with the same shell and choke you use for singles. I use #8 shot for both, but I doubt if I could tell any difference if I used #9 or #7.5 shot.

Pat Ireland

8. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Mod/Full with 7/8oz 8s both shots.

Regards

W&W

9. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Sk/Full, 1 oz 9's/ 1 1/8 8's

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Lt. Mod. on the 1st shot and Mod. on the 2nd.

I oz. @ 1200 fps for both shots.

Curt

11. Browning Guy

Browning Guy TS Member

Mod and full. 92 Average.

12. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

93 avg.

First shot 1oz #8 second 1 1/8 7 1/2.

Chokes standard browning mod first, and improved mod second.

GS

13. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

One oz. 9's or anything for the first shot, three dram 7 1/2's or 8's - I'm beginning to like the latter more and more - for the second, full and full.

Neil

14. canada

canada Member

1 oz. 8's, 8.5's or 9's for first shot, light 8's for second shot. I don't think you need any more than lights for the second. 1 oz. first shot so that you don't get as much recoil before you have to move to the second bird. Smaller shot seems to give less smoke which is less distracting for your move to the second target.

Mod and Full.

Pat Lamont

15. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

My qualifications: I've been a class AA doubles shooter for the past 25 years. 20 thousands & 30 thousands. 1 oz 8's for the first shot and light 1 1/8 oz 8's or 7.5's for the second. No way do you need three drams for doubles.

16. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I shoot 1oz 81/2's for the first shot, and 3dr. 11/8oz 71/2's for the second. Barrels are choked .020" and .034". Current average is .94.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

17. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If you have ever seen BMC shoot double....you would listen to him! First find out what your doubles gun likes for loads, then remember that Doubles is just two 16 yards shots!

Your biggest problem in Doubles is timing and that loose screw behind the gun!

18. bhuber

bhuber TS Member

93 avg

Light Mod in bottom with 1oz 8s
    Improved Mod in the top with 3 dram 8s

Brent

19. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

My doubles average is below 88 but I have at last accepted that messing with choke sizes and shot sizes won't fix anything until I learn where to look and where to point the gun. How did I figure this out? By getting my a$$ handed to me by a 17 year-old girl shooting a Mossberg slide turkey gun... my 83 to her 92.

I have work to do on this.

Carol Lister

20. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

My Average up here in Mt, where it just recently turned spring like is only 97 on just over a 1000 birds in the Dubs and I have to agree with BMC. Shells , guns and ammo are just a tiny bit in the whole picture. Practice, is much more important. How many of you go to the club and shoot round after round of singles practice? It seems to be that way at my home club. Singles and more singles. Hardly ever open a trap for Dubs and or handicap until the State shoot is right around the corner and then everyone goes out and shoots a few rounds of Dubs expecting to win their class at State. Not likely to happen.

Rick in Mt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.