1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles are a one bird game

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

" Doubles are a one bird game" as quoated by an olympic shooter, he says you know where that first bird is going to be, just hold for it, that bird is a gimme, break it and look for the second target and your eyes will have you on that one.

I tend to feel that is a correct quote.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

There is no such thing as a gimme bird. John

3. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Then everyone should break them all, all the time? Is that right?

Ajax

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

That's not what Jeff said! He said, "after getting that first bird down" it then becomes a one bird game.

Hap

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

How about a one bird at a time game?

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Wolfram, I agree. Britt Robinson taught me to hold just under where I wanted to break the first target to allow for some variation (modern traps are great but not perfect). Almost spot shooting but not quite. And then I worry about the second target. I've always held to the belief there's no excuse to miss a first target. When I do, it usually because I'm thinking about the second target before I've taken care of business on the first one.

Ron Burr

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    While the premise of knowing the flight path of the first bird is correct, and that the shotgun can be held in a position to cover a portion of that path, it is not a "gimmie". I see plenty of misses on the supposed "gimmie bird". Thus, this dashes any suggestion that doubles is a "one bird game". As wolfram said above, it is a "one bird at a time game".

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I agree, you just have to make a good second shot.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Doubles is a game that very few trap shooters know how to play. HMB

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

On a good day, It's the most fun you can have with your pants on!

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Tell us about the birds and the bees and doubles Shannon!

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

A nice pair can make a grouchy old man, smile like a school girl on prom night. :)

13. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Even though you can "set up" for the first bird make sure you make a good gun move to that first bird. Don't get lazy on it. That will put you in the best position to make an easy shot the the second bird.
    Don't consider that first bird "automatic", hold high where it comes out, but put a move on itl

14. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

I tend to agree; I shoot singles to have something to do until it is time to shoot doubles. Shooting doubles is a bit like making love; you don't need to be good to enjoy it--but skill does help...

Doc

15. Fred Neal

Fred Neal Member

Heck
    I heard a gentleman say that in shooting doubles that 97% of you concentration is on the second bird , so that only leaves 3% for the first bird that is almost a gimmee on the first bird I guess. I dont Know all of the gentlemans qualifications but he was a gold metal winner in doubles trap at the olympics.
    GO ARMY STRONG
    Fred

16. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

He never said the first target was a gimme. He said you should be focusing 90% of your thoughts on the second target and in that way it makes it a one target event. I really appreciated that mind set, I'm gonna try that.

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

If you cannot become decent at breaking the first shot at doubles, you might want to look into knitting.

18. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

If you don't miss as many first birds as you do second birds you are not shooting doubles correctly.

jim brown

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Jim, If I shoot a good round, I may drop a couple 2nd targets, but break all my first targets. So despite shooting a 98, I was shooting them incorrectly?

Please help me. What did I do wrong?

20. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

While I've heard this before, I have trouble agreeing with you 100% Jim.

I believe distance increases difficulty to a degree--the target recurves more, is more susceptible to atmospheric influences, more gun movement required to get there, the affect of recoil from the first shot, etc.

I do wonder sometimes though, when I don't miss any first birds, if I'm being aggressive enough. Instead of pushing it however, I usually try to concentrate on smoothness and staying in my gun for the second. I feel with this done well things will speed up organically, and my percentage lost will decrease as well.

Guy Babin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shawn hawley trap shooting video