1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Doubles and MX3 Question.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hooligan, Sep 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hooligan

Hooligan Member

I have been offered an extremely nice MX3 with brileys. This gun fires the top barrel first and this is a situation with which I have had no experience.
    I currently have a Beretta set up to shoot doubles ( bottom bbl first)
    and choked .020 and .030. I like to have the first bbl to shoot around 90/10
    and the second bbl 70/30 at 30 yds. ( sometimes hard to achieve without having
    Briley eccentric chokes made or good bbl work done). I would be most interested to hear from anyone who shoots top bbl first and if muzzle jump and or recoil
    is an issue.I like this MX3 as it has 1530 bbls and feels really great. Some may recommend porting however I am not a fan and would not like to wreck a nice gun by drilling holes in the bbl!!

Barry

2. Rick (Pa)

Rick (Pa) TS Member

Barry, Buy a bottom first trigger. You may have to get choke tubes installed.

Rick

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I shoot an MX-3 that is Top barrel first and it definitely has less felt recoil than the bottom first Citori Trap gun that I used to own. The POI for both barrels is about 70/30.

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Barry, buy the MX-3 and shoot it top barrel first. The top barrel will automatically give you a little higher POI when fired standing (assuming they both shot to the same POI from the bench).

5. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Some folks make way too much of an issue regarding top barrel first. It's all in your head....not in the barrel. Shoot the gun the way Perazzi made it. It will work just fine.

6. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Hey - I'll take the gun if you don't like it - just shipt it to me any time you want. the beav

7. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

The sear tree that sets which barrel fire is available from Perazzi less than $ 20 and any good Smith can in stall it I did My own! and a skeet thin wall briley works well on first bottom and Imp. mod thin wall second or top Great gun too bad mine wore out 500 k or bettershots if I could find one reasonable in good shape I'd sure think about buying it and part with my XT ULTRA Brn. Jon

8. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

I shoot a top barrel first MX-3 and love it! Harlan Campbell shot one for nearly 20 years and did quite well with his as well.There isn't another gun I would like to own for doubles! Good luck and good shooting...Hugo "Moe " Rinke

9. Hooligan

Hooligan Member

I really appreciate the comments and advice from you guys. I have grabbed it
    as the condition is absolutely pristine. Tomorrow - Wednesday here - I will take it to the club and have a look on the pattern board first and then break some targets. It has a selection of thin wall Brileys however I think I will probably wrap up the stock and put it away and have a new one made as I need 40mm drop at the comb for my funny face! I took my Beretta today and removed the bbl selector lock pin and tried it top first. To be honest, with 1oz loads I cannot notice any difference in recoil or muzzle flip. The MX3 will stay in its current configuration until I have shot it for 12 months and got used to it.
    Thanks again for the comments.

Barry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.