Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doubles advice

3K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Browning Man 
#1 ·
Well I just started shooting doubles and I find my scorces very inconsistent, do you guys have any pointers. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

#4 ·
Straightaways first.
Watch the background for something to locate where to look for the first bird when the previous shooters are shooting.
shoot the first bird quickly, but in a controlled manner,
let your eyes go to the second bird, the gun follows.

#6 ·
Learn how to trap the first bird, this allows you to have your guns POI set for the second bird. This game plan allows you to use a light load and open choke for the first shot and a full load and tighter choke for the second shot. It helps to be using an O/U. HMB

#11 ·
My advice is if you are shooting at any place but at the KCTA, the first thing you want to do is tell the Line Judge to raise the targets 4 to 6 notches - or go do it yourself if at home. If that second target is falling when you try to shoot it, you will NOT have very good scores - it just will NOT happen. Very few target setters shoot doubles, and they just do not understand that you have to keep the second target up in the air unless you want to make it a hard game that only Leo III can do. The reason I exclude the KCTA from my comments is that Lynn is one of the very few that understand how to set up a doubles trap, and he does an excellent job of it - and as a result he has some really good doubles shooters there. You just cannot set up doubles targets the same way your set up singles targets. the beav

#12 ·
HMB, divine guidance is not frequent on the trap field. Nor are things "automatically happening." I have to scratch and claw for every target. Nothing comes easily. I have found:

1. Trapping the first target is great, until the wind starts.

2. Using the same gun for singles has resulted in higher doubles scores.

3. A one ounce load for the first shot does reduce recoil.

4. Swing through shot on the second is the only way to go.

5. Starting the gun lower for the first target may help to hit it sooner and help get the second on the rise. But might throw off your timing.

6. Because fewer shooters sign up for doubles, there is a greater statistical chance of winning, everything else being equal. But they are not. Registered doubles shooters tend to be very good at it.

#14 ·
Don't be afraid of doing quite a bit of aiming on the second shot, no matter what you may have read here. Certainly when you start shooting them and often, if not always, thereafter.

Find out where you have to put the bead vertically to get the best hit. If it's under, aim under. If it's over, make the gun shoot higher.

Shoot two or three feet ahead of one and five, maybe a foot ahead of two and four, at - or just a trace behind (!) -the second bird on three.

Otherwise, I agree most with CharlesR1100, I've never found open chokes help any but an ounce is nice for the first shot; keep the gun moving but know where it is when it goes off and where the bird is too, of course.

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.