1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

double trolling motors-has anyone tried this?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by powderburn, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi All-
    Just wondered if anyone out there has tried two trolling motors (at the same time) on their transom? A couple places around here are trolling motor only, and thought getting another motor to match and another battery, would be good idea.........maybe. All I have is a 12' semi V aluminum boat, and thought I would build a battery shelf in front of the middle seat and have wiring installed to go back to the transom for hookup. Just wanted to see if anyone out there has done this. Thanks for your replies, -powderburn

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have enough trouble carrying one battery to the boat.

I would get a trolling motor with more snot, seems easier.

HM

3. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

It does work. I know in some of the small boat tournaments that don't allow gas motors some people use more than one trolling motor for more speed. As a bonus if something happens to one motor you still have the other to get you out.

4. 682LINY

682LINY Member

have used two,,,one in front and one in back,,,more for meuvering than speed,,,,

5. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Maybe our own master troller can answer your question after he gets back from his fishing trip.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/people/?action=view&current=gargoyle8.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

So Tron are you out there anywhere.

Fog

6. gotbass

gotbass Member

Try trolling motor in front and one that hooks on your gas kicker in the back. One of the guys in our bass club has that set up. As mentioned not for speed but the cat's a** for manuvering in the wind and such. Has front controls too.

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Years ago, I worked in a boat shop that rigged quite a few small pontoon boats with dual 3hp electric motors. They were being used on a fairly good size electric only lake. If memory serves me correct, they were rigged with 4 batteries and a charger like you would find in a bass boat. The stering console was used for steering and controls, just like normal. The just used a link bar between the two motors to keep them aligned properly.

ec90t

8. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Motor Guide made a dual head model about twenty years ago. It had a ton of torque but was hard to steer as it had twice the mass to turn. It did'nt catch on, they just found ways to mahe higher HP motors.

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Halfmile gave you good advice.

I have a 36# thrust transom mount Motor Guide on my 12' john boat. With a 105 amp battery, it has a lot of power and excellent range. The 55# on my 18' bass boat 12 volt system, with 2 105 amp batteries, is also fairly fast with all day durability. This used to be a 24 volt system but I get sufficient power and more durability with today's better motors using a new model 12 volt Minn Kota.

For a 12 foot alum semi-vee, I would stick with a single motor. I think that you can get well over 50# in a transom mount. This should push the 12 footer very well. A dual mount, IMO, would work but not really buy you much in speed or durability. Dual motors would also, IMO, be difficult to control.

Years ago, I had a front and rear set up on a 14 foot deep semi-vee. The main engine was a 40 HP but I used the front and rear electrics for docking and positioning the boat in heavy cover. I operated the front 24# and my brother operated the rear 12#. He ran the starting battery so much that we had to hand crank the 40 HP engine.

Keep a spare prop and cotter pin for reliability. I have broken many a plastic prop in waves in shallow water. A large wave can lift the bow and then drop the propeller onto the bottom hard. It is an all day job to skull back to the dock even a mile with a paddle. I know.

If you are going to locate the battery a significant distance from the motor, use a heavy gauge connection. Otherwise, you will loose performance as the wire heats up.

Ed Ward

10. shadow

shadow Active Member

I run an 82lb digital foot control trolling motor on my Ranger and it pulls the heavy boat along at quite a clip when turned on high. The new 36 volt motors should be even better. No need for 2 motors.

11. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have a friend who has a trolling motor that adjust to depth which I'm sure cost a lot (less than 2 though). We are both 200 lbs and this motor actually planed out his 16 ft al.boat. Don't know the brand

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

do two minn kota motors double thrust

doubling thrust motor

dual head trolling motor