1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DOUBLE SHOOTING - STATIONS 4 & 5

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rico46, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

Gentleman,

I am a right handed shooter that shoots doubles - stations 4 & 5 backwards. I have tried every conventional ways to shoot those two stations but to no avail. I've been known to shoot 5'sand 6's conistently at those stations.

Now, I take the angle target first and comes back to the straight away with great success. Now, I'm shooting 9's and 10's. Has anyone else seen or shoot this way? Thanks

Rick

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

There are a number of good shooters that shoot the right bird first on all stations. Make sure you tell the scorer if they are a rookie. Shooting the right bird first on 4 and 5 causes alot of extra gun movement.

3. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

i too shoot the right hand first on 4 @ 5, found it better for me , i am pushing the gun away from face on second shot at the right angle . i hold gun out where i am going to shoot target and just wait for it as not to have a lot of gun movement or chasing the first shot . Steve Richardson told me this , he is not to shabby a doubles shooter. Jeff

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Why would it be backwards if its the way you can shoot the best? I've only got a 1000 doubles to my credit so I'm still searching for the best way for me, but if it works wouldn't it be the right way to go?

Why would a rookie scorer need to know which bird your shooting first?

Bill

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Bill,

So the scoreer will know if you hit it or not. Duh! A new puller will be looking at the straight away target first before going to the angle. Not changing these day is considered unorthodox.

ec90t

6. Setterman

The scorer will be looking for the left target first, and may not see you break the hardright, first target. I've seen it cause some mass confusion on the scoring. It's tough to score doubles for a new scorer, and once they screw up the score sheet is a bear to correct if they don't stop the squad immediately.
    I shoot with a guy that shoots right target first. It happens. Believe me.

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Sean Hawley shoots the right bird first, all stations. His average on 1400 doubles so far this year is 99.57.

It doesn't seem to be hurting him much . . .

Neil

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I have a buddy, a lefty, that shoots R/L all the way through the field. Most times I pray to match his scores....breakemall....Bob Dodd

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've seen some good shooters take the right target first on all stations....looks like a tougher way to do it but many have success at it....I'm kinda scared to mess with "the mojo", so I've never tried it...

10. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

Thanks guys..I guess I'm going to continue since it works for me!

Rick

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

There is no set way you are supposed to shoot doubles and whatever works for you is what you should do ... what I dont understand is the person who told you to tell the referee before you shoot ... why should you tell the referee anything at all?

12. Setterman

One more time for lumper. Most people shoot the left hand target first on 4 and 5. The score keeper will be looking at the left target for the first break, and may not witness your breaking the right hand target first. He/She may think you lost the left target. Happened twice on my squad last year. One of the guys I shoot with often shoots the right target first on all stations.

13. smartass

smartass TS Member

setterman, no matter how the shooters shoot, there will be no consistency about which bird if shot first. Any puller who can look for the left first when 4 & 5 are shooting then look for right first when 1 & 2 are shooting then look for either when 3 is shooting is far more skilled than any I've seen. Scoring doubles isn't easy, just like shooting true pairs in sporting clays.

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

One more time for Setterman ... there is no set way you are supposed to shoot doubles and if the the referee cant see how your lined up (which direction your pointing in) than that referee is not really watching what they are doing and needs to be replaced.

15. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

There's no such thing as BACKWARDS...only YOUR WAY and THEIR WAY.

Morgan

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

A puller with miles under his belt will note the muzzle direction of the shooter when he sets up. Maybe I have been doing this so long I no longer think it is hard.

17. Setterman

Lump, I never said there was a "correct" way to shoot them. However a rookie scorer may go thru 5 squads before some one shoots the right bird first on those stations. Please don't tell me your scorerkeepers are always seasoned vets. It actually happened at the state shoot just last year.

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot the first target with your left eye and the second target with your right eye. That's what works for me. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to shoot doubles trap post 4&5