1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Double release vs. release-pull?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Twinbirds, Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

it comes with practice. using the double release is what smoothed my doubles shooting out.set the second trigger as soon as possible after the first shot

2. Robb

Robb Member

I was always told if you need release you might as well learn double release because you will need it at some point.

That's what I did. Scores suck but I got on to the double release ok.

3. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I had a pretty bad flinch with a pull trigger. It took me exactly one round with a release to be comfortabel with it. (I shot a practice 23 from the 25 yard line if I remember correctly).

I was amazed. There was no "wondering " if I was going to flinch. All I had to do was focus on the target, and give it my best shot, er... release.

Doubles was not a problem. After the first shot, you just naturally want to pull and reset that trigger as you go for the next target. It's quick and smooth. Hope this helps.

4. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

You either need a release or you don't.....If you need it, you need it on both first and second barrel....SMOKIT

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Most guys with release triggers shoot them out of necessity. A relative few use them by choice. If you're part of the first group, you WILL end up with double release sooner than later. If you're in the second group, do whatever you want. It's your choice.

sissy

PS: Pat Ireland referred to release/pull triggers as "release/flinch". For most of us, he was right.

6. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

I swithched to a release pull last July. Took to the release part like a duck to water. Still flinched occasionally with the pull on the second shot on doubles. Just got a new gun, I am having some issues getting the trigger set for the second shot. Finally figured that it was an issue with the trigger itself in cooler weather. Receiver is at the gunsmith now and with any luck I will get it back late this week(I am hoping as I am going to a shoot this week end) if not it will be early next week.I am looking forward to it. I was told to take two cases of ammo to the doubles practice trap and by the time I was out of ammo I would be used to using the double release. I did one on my second set of doubles shoot a 40. Not good but was still tring to figure it out. My third set of doubles the weather was colder and the trigger was acting up so bad I do not think I hit a 30. But I have high hopes that the future will bring me good doubles scores with no dreaded FLINCH!

Jim B.

7. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

My experience has been different. I have never even considered a R/R setup. I went to a release because it seemed a better way of doing things. I use a R/P because it has the least motion and requires no thinking about to make it work.

JMO of course, but a R/R is just way too complicated for me - too many pieces and too much motion.

8. Smokechaser

Smokechaser TS Member

I shoot a release and a release/release by choice, not out of necessity. To me it's a more natural system when shooting targets when you point at the clay (release the trigger) and the shotgun responds. When I hunt, I use a pull trigger; I don't quite need the precision when taking game. To each his own -- it works for me....cya

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I never mastered a release and yet am stuck with it today. I can shoot it fair, but not like a pull. I lost about 3 to 5 birds initially and although still getting better, I am about the same today. I stay with a single shot release because it is easier to handle the gun with a complete grip with the right hand. I am RH. One of Phil Kiner's concepts is to have a firm controlled grip with your trigger hand. I believe in that.

All that said, I struggled with the complexity of the second release set. I had a lot going on in my life back then and my brain was not settled enough to concentrate on shooting. I muddled on, but I had to quit.

I now have a R/P for doubles and I know I will have more fun with this set-up. I don't know if I will shoot better, but having fun is what shooting is all about with me.

But you ask a fair question and are getting good responses.

10. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I shoot a r/p, faster and less thought on the 2nd bird.

tony

11. R.T. (In)

R.T. (In) TS Member

I would go with the double release right from the start.

If you think of the first shot as release/set all in one motion

you will not have any problem with the second shot. good luck to you.

R.T. IN

12. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I use a release-pull by choice. It's super fast and I never could get the double release down. AJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

release pull trigger for doubles