1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Double release for doubles ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, May 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Just started shooting doubles, since I use a release on my singles & caps gun I decided to go to a double release. First scores with the gun & my first try @ doubles was a 69, its been down hill since. The gun is a Beretta 682 Gold E, with a PFS ( for fit purposes) . The triggers were done by Spears. I'm have a great deal of difficulty controling my second shot. Questions could it be the PFS combined with a double release. Would I be better off changing the trigger to a release/pull. The fit of the PFS feels good. Will try & tighten the reoil action as tight as possible. Wondering does anyone shoot good doubles with a PFS.

Phil Berkowitz

2. Andy Ott

Andy Ott Guest

Are you trying to set the trigger for the second shot while you are moving to it.If so that could be your problem.

3. Andy Ott

Andy Ott Guest

Sorry I left this out,try to release and set the trigger on the first target then go to the second target with the trigger already set.

4. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

There are lots of good doubles shooters using double release triggers. I would think it will take several thousand rounds of shooting before it becomes a natural response and done subconsciously. Being you shoot a release now for singles I would think the process would be shorter and most PFS shooters have the setting pretty tight for doubles but Vern is on this sight I would ask him first as he has the most knowledge and experience on his PFS stocks.

PS he also has a lot of my money as I have 3 PFS so I am bias as recoil is the real enemy over a long shooting event.

Buddy

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

When I shoot a double release, I set the trigger as I attack the second target.

To be honest, when in the zone, the memory of trigger details is pretty blurry.

Are you thinking too much about the trigger? I have had great luck shooting doubles at SKEET station 7 to get back in the rhythm. A very good shooter with a release gave me this tip. You will quickly start focusing on the target and not on the trigger. Also, quit considering the release as a last ditch way to shoot.

It is a tool, and a good one at that. If I did not teach defensive firearms as a livelihood, I would go 100% to release for my shotguns. I prefer it on HCP and Skeet.

6. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

All the double release shooters I know (including myself)do the following;
    set the trigger and shoot the first target normally but reset the 2nd trigger all in the same motion. Then your move to the 2nd target will be normal with the trigger already set. This has worked for all those I'm acquainted with. We recommend you try this dry firing first to get used to releasing then instantly resetting. Good luck.

Larry

7. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

When I switched to a double release from a release /pull I had difficulty hanging on to the second trigger. I "machine gunned" the first bird before I could move the gun. Not sure why, but on someones advice I had the second set adjusted to provide a slower trigger for the second shot (heavier set and longer duration to firing then the first). Seems to have corrected the "machine gun" problem. But it took a little getting used to. The second trigger was set just too close (set/release) for my handling.

Big Jack

8. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the info-much to think about--Big Jack I may have to do what you did, I'm tripping the second trigger way to fast. Only have got 500 doubles ( 250 pair) under my belt-got a long way to go. Again thanks.

Phil Berkowitz

9. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I shoot double release with PFS. If I get too relaxed I too machine gun. So I just foucs and go. Practice from station 7, low house on skeet feild can help. Keep practicing all will come togather. Jake

10. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how someone could be setting the second trigger "way too fast" when shooting trap doubles unless it is somehow causing the gun to malfunction. Just get in the habit of setting the second trigger automatically as soon as you know the first barrel has fired and you will then be able to concentrate on making the second shot and not on the mechanics of working the trigger.

Easystreet

11. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Remember it is release, set, release. Not set, release,set, release. Sounds obviouse but practice dry fiering from the set position as your starting position. Don't even need a gun just do it with your finger until it becomes natural. Hope this helps it did me. Post-2

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Make sure you are holding onto the gun. Some have a tendancy to open or relax the hand when they release. It's not a problem on singles but can be a problem on doubles when trying to set for 2nd shot. Grip the gun a little tighter.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.