1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Double Release Advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 101voodoo, May 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Just converted to a double release on my K80, and need some advice on transitioning to doubles.

When do you set the trigger for the second shot? As soon as you release on the first, or while you're swinging to the second target?

I've shot three rounds of doubles since getting the gun back the Saturday before last, and scores dropped from 81, to 75, to 57! Been shooting my backup 682 for several months while the work was being done, and was hitting in the 90 range.

I seem to be stopping the gun on the second shot for some reason.

Jim

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I was told that a good drill is to put to empty boxes on the ground spaced about where you shoot your doubles targets and blast away to get your timing down and make the reset automatic.

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Jim: If you check back into the "search" on this forum you will see that I "enjoyed" your same problem. with the double release. What I have been doing is to shoot skeet and shoot doubles from all the stations. This allows me to train my "pea size " brain to get used to setting the trigger between shots. After shooting approximately 6 rounds, (150 targets), I seem to be adjusting to the concept. Repetition will build a psycho-motor skill within your brain. (Like tying your shoes). It will come to you natural after many reps. Many shooters of pump action guns do not think about pumping the gun between shots; setting the trigger between shots should be no different. Good Luck. Ed

4. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Ed, I did a search for your login and found the release/release thread.

Thanks - I had searched for 'doubles release' and didn't come up with anything useful.

I've got skeet barrels for the gun (originally bought it as a skeet gun). I'll pull them out and try the box drill as well.

The problem with doubles surprised me a bit. I took to the release on singles and handicap right off, though I had to take a spacer off the comb as it seems my timing is faster with the release.

Managed a 95 & a 98 on handicap at the Golden West Grand on Thursday, after the dismal 57 on doubles the day before.

Wasn't flinching, but thought the concept of releasing rather than pulling made sense. It does seem to be much more of a natural motion, almost like you're tossing something at the target.

Really glad I made the switch.

Jim

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

I switched to a release / release a month or so ago and the biggest problem that I had was twice as the first shooter in a squad I was so worried about the prep(squad ready, scorer ready, lets see a pair)that I forgot to set my trigger for the first shot. First time I missed both in panic mode and the second time I missed the first bird. The actual timing of shooting of doubles with a release / release came pretty easy. What worked for me was setting the trigger for the second bird just as I catch up to it. For me at least there is that little spot just before the gun catches up to your eyes and settles into the lead and it just feels "natural" to set the trigger then. My scores since switching are up from before but would be better if I kept my big ole knothead on the stock for the second shot.
    --- Chip King ---

6. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Took a Frank Hoppe clinic a few years ago and he talked about his own transition to release triggers. Said he had to consciously train himself to reset the trigger immediately after the first shot and it took a while to get it right. For me it was a lot easier and quicker (I'm damned slow at everything else :). After a while it has gotten to where I don't think about the trigger at all; singles or doubles. Go figure.

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Takes time. Use a wall chart for a few days before you shoot again, to get use to the set-release-set-release.

8. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Thanks for all the help - I do have a wall chart, haven't used it yet though, since I've have to clean out the garage before I can set it up...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.