1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Double rel trigger - Combo gun vs separate guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rsikole, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rsikole

rsikole Member

May 4, 2009
    Hello trapshoters,

I have a question regarding shooting a combo vs shooting 2 different guns for singles/handicap and doubles.

I shoot a release trigger and I am learning to shoot doubles. I used to shoot my Citori combo for singles and handicap with a release (double) trigger, and shot it pretty well. I then bought a new KX-5 with a factory release trigger, and am now shooting it pretty well. I decided to shoot the Citori O/U barrel to try to get it fitting me well to learn to shoot some doubles with it.

There seems to be a significant difference in the two release triggers between these 2 guns. The Citori trigger was modified from pull to release by a gunsmith and the KX-5 is factory release. I am not sure if it the pull (release) force or if it is the trigger travel required to fire it but something is definitely different in the timing of these 2 triggers. After not having shot the Citori for a while, it seems much different than the KX-5 release which I am now used to.

My question is for those of you who have shot doubles with a double release and 2 different guns.

Do you see a significant difference between two different release triggers?

If so, was it a manner of simply getting used to the differences, or would you recommend getting a combo for doubles to avoid having to "get used" to the different performance between the two triggers? Should setting the two triggers to the same release force solve this problem?

Thanks for any useful feedback!

2. below 0

below 0 TS Member

Jan 15, 2009
    This is nearly the story of my shotgun purchases...I too started with a Citori, then went to a KS-5 and now shoot a Kolar Combo. YES...There is a tremendous difference in Release triggers. This is the reason I switched to a Combo...So I could have one set of triggers and not have a different release time between the Single Barrel and the double. I've now shot the Kolar for nearly nine years and would not ever go back..Dale
  3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
    The triggers feel different because they are. Each release trigger will feel different from another because of the amount of sear engagement built into it. That can be changed and what you could do is give both guns to a good trigger smith and ask him to make the one you like less feel like the one you like more.

By the way, almost all release triggers are converted from pull triggers. The "factory" in your KX-5's release just means that Krieghoff did the conversion or that a Krieghoff gunsmith did it using a Krieghoff release hook.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.