1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Double fire

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brad*90T, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Brad*90T

Brad*90T Member

On my uncles Browning, there was alot of crud in the trigger assembly. My advice is pull it apart and clean it real good and try it again. Hope this helps.

Brad

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Now, for those liberal leaning - 'they just want to ban the black plastic ugly guns that hold lots of bullets in their clips (sic)' posters here.

Under BATF rules this gun is now, and will always be considered an illegally created full auto.

Once a firearm fires more than a single round with a single pull of the trigger it is henceforth a 'full auto' this cannot be undone - if this is done without the proper paperwork in place PRIOR then the gun is an illegal full auto.

In the past repairs, custom work, or broken parts left some wiggle room here. No more.

Just do a search for the man who loaned an AR to someone at a firing range - a piece inside the gun broke and it went full auto - he was charged and found guilty of illegally converting the gun to full auto.

food for thought

3. bhuber

bhuber TS Member

My MX3 Special did it 3 times in 10 pair. They told me it had to much oil on the it. I cleaned it really good and made sure it didn't have to much oil on the trigger springs and it hasn't don't it again. However to ease my mind I put in my backup trigger. Once you don't trust a trigger it gives you to much to think about and that leads to Lost.

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Go to the auto store and get a can of Brake Clean the red can. Buy two cans. Take your trigger out and spray your trigger GOOD. Cocked and uncocked. In every crack you can spray in. Let it dry and oil the hell out of it. The spray will take all oil and grease out of the trigger. Oil it so the oil is dripping off the trigger. Then see if that takes care of your problem. It should.

Now a warning. The brake cleaner is cheaper then the gun scrubber by far. HOW EVER do not let it touch your wood or plastic. It will distroy the finish on the wood and soften any plastic. Good for metal but not wood finish or plastic. REMEMBER THAT.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You do not want any oil on the hammer notch and sear. Clean the surfaces with a cue tip and some rubbing alcohol. This should solve the problem as long as the trigger assembly is clean and there are no broken parts. HMB

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Clean it as stated, and HSLDS, your full-of-it..

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

BigM,

Here is the AUSA response when asked this very question (full link posted with my first post).

It's not "if," but "when."

BATF rules with the will of the wind at it's back - if they feel like doing it they can and they will... You are naive if you do not understand that.

-

The cornerstone of this charge is the government’s contention that it doesn’t matter whether a gun fires multiple shots as a result of malfunction or modification because the law defines a machinegun as; “… any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.” While on the witness stand, firearms expert Len Savage asked the Assistant US Attorney prosecuting the case if that would make his grandfather’s old double-gun a machinegun if it malfunctioned and fired both barrels with one pull of the trigger. The AUSA responded by paraphrasing the legal definition of a machinegun with emphasis placed on “any weapon which shoots… more than one shot… by a single function of the trigger.”

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Pat, tell the whole story.

And, it was not an o/u with 2 hammers,

Nor a 1911 with a worn/defective sear...

Remember the part about designed to shoot, or readily restored to shoot ( meaning an AR returned to M16 capabilities).

Regardless, the prosecutor was an idiot.

9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

BigM,

While I SHOULD be considered full of it BATF, which writes, enforces, and prosecutes it's own rules at a whim - a perfect opportunity of abuse/tyranny - makes this a moot point for they have already been there, done that, so sadly, I am not.

They have already gone down this road - once for now with Olofson - just give them time for the next one. Above I mention the testimony of the AUSA and he was specifically asked about 'grand dad's old double barreled shotgun' - His reply was still “any weapon which shoots… more than one shot… by a single function of the trigger.”

This is the same group that let guns go to Mexico so they could 'come home' to kill a U S Border Patrol Officer - and the SCOTUS let stand their request for reporting multiple purchases on rifles for the S/W as well.

10. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

How about help the guy fix his gun. Start another thread to bash each other. Jeff

11. gary0920

gary0920 Member

Check to make sure your stock bolt is tight or the stock is not cracked at the tang.

Gary Rickard

12. Grumpy Bear

Grumpy Bear TS Member

If you do not know what is wrong with it, take it to a good gun-smith. Not a job for some one with
    limited knowledge!

13. Mojo240

Mojo240 TS Member

Thanks everyone, I think it needs a good cleaning and we will see after that. I think it might have had too much oil.. I guess I'll see in a few days.

14. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

HSLDS, what about my single action revolver and the BATF? After all it will "...more than one shot, by a single function of the trigger." Just hold the trigger and fan away. Faster than any auto.

GneJ

15. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

Mojo240

You asked a simple question that deserves a simple answer. If you check the trigger pulls the second one needs to be about 1/2 pound heavier than the first. This will keep it from doubling and are usually about 3 1/2 and 4 lbs. respectively. People always play with triggers and it could be what happened to yours or it wore over time. Have it checked and brought to spec by a gunsmith. Lucio at Perazzi USA repaired mine and it's what he told me. Good luck, Duane

16. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

GeneJ,

Remember, we are dealing with a governmental agency that has already gone into the twilight zone.

Are you asking my personal opinion or what the BATF would say/do??

All I have done here is remind us what can potentially happen - it is a reality whether we like it or not. My post was meant as a warning.

Per your pistol, my opinion though it does not matter, is that no, it is not full auto. But go show an ATF officer and see what he says - do you want to take that risk??

Didn't think so.

17. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms ... sound more like it should be a convenience store, rather than a G'ovt Agency!

18. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I had a Franchi field gun which doubled a couple times. The gunsmith said that it was because the hammer selector gate was worn by my not pulling the barrel selector ALL the way back and ALL the way over before pushing it up for the other barrel. The barrel selector showed it was set for the bottom barrel, but the gate was worn sufficiently that it was set in the center, allowing both barrels to go off at one time. It was a featherweight gun, so you can imagine the feeling with a couple heavy field loads going off at once!

19. Mojo240

Mojo240 TS Member

Thanks everyone , I gave it a good cleaning and it seems to fire fine ..