1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

double drippers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 686, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686

686 TS Member

i just got a set of # 8 double drippers for jimmy stewert org. laddle. has any one changed over from single to double drippers and how did they work for you? any problums, did you have to put in smaler ingets, or any thing different from the single drippers? i hope to get mine going this weekend. thanks

2. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

I went and watched Jim Stewarts son run his Double Black Max set up with double drippers in each ladle. It was probably in the 30s temperature wise and he was making shot in an unheated pole barn. He wasn't preheating the ingots, just placing two, two pound ingots into the ladles each time without any preheating. Mutt said it wasn't necessary to preheat ingots before placing them in the ladles. He was able to keep up with the doubles.
    We therefore placed an order for the double BM and are engineering our system to be a countionous shotmaker as he has.
    Him and his father you will not find more helpful people to work with! Rick Gibbs

3. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

686, did you talk to Jim Stewart? Do you have the standard model or do you have the Black max? We discussed the double drippers and he recommended running only three with 7 1/2 shot and 5 for 8 1/2 shot and I am currently running 5 8 1/2's with the ends being single. As far as heat I keep my ingots warm by putting them on the machine and rotating them. 10tenner

4. 686

686 TS Member

yes i talked to jim before ordering the #8 double drippers. he said it would work. on his sight he sales the org. single ladel with the same. i hope to change ovet sat. and try them out. will let you know how they work. i was just looking for some one who has already made the change. did you say jim's son has a continus running mechine? did you take any pictures? thanks

5. himark

himark Well-Known Member

What is the difference from his original and the black max? I would bet heating element as a guess or wattage? We cant keep ours hot enough with single drippers and have even gone to plugging the two outside ones to keep it hot enough. That is one part of the unit I am dissappointed with. I would imagine the "new" black max address's this.

6. 686

686 TS Member

i think thje bm has a hotter element and some type spl. coating on the lip to make it slick. i have one of his org. single laddle units and have vever had a problum with the lead melting fast enugh. even when runing # 7 1/2. i use buffin ingets about 2 lb. all 7 drippers flo good. i am in a 12x16 building. if it is windey i have to close the door to keep the wind from cooling the drippers. i ran 8s on sunday. i wanted re check how fast it ran. i put in thr lead at the same point of fullines in the laddle each time and i used 20 ingets in 1 hr 5 min. the last time i ran 7 1/2 it was one ever 2 min. if you are saying the lead runs out faster than it melts try smaller ingets. are you on double drippers, i think you said only singlr. and what shot size? i will be putting in all 7 of the # 8s but will fave a propan torch handy if i need it. if i have to i will take 1 or 2 out. i am less than a year in making shoe so i am looking for any advice also. i know the best advice is keep collecting lead.

7. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

himark, The Black Max has 1500 watt element, and Jim does put the new coating on all of his machines. I agree with 686 you should have no problem with running all 7 drippers. I have no problem running double drippers with the a 50ft extension cord. 10Tenner

8. 686

686 TS Member

10tenner do you have the org. or the black max with doubble dripers? abd what size shot do you run.? thabks

9. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

686, I have both shot makers. I run 5 double 8 1/2 and single 8 1/2 on the ends of the original. Jim recommended that I run only three 7 1/2 double drippers with the original. My Black Max I run double 7 1/2. 10tenner

10. 686

686 TS Member

what size ingets do you use and does it run the 5 # 8 1/2 good with room to spair or does it just run them? thanks

11. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

686. I use 1 1/2 lbs muffin ingots. I probably could run all 7 doubles, but would not gain much by doing so. 10tenner

12. 686

686 TS Member

i put in the jimmt stewert double drippers 8s sat. i am using 2 lb ingets. i had to lay a propain torch across the laddle to hit the inget in the back . my two out side drippers were getting cold. a little tank ran for the 5 hrs i worked. not a problum as it just layed there and did not have to tuch it. i was pouring 80 lbs per hr. i used a baket from staples , office store, . i bade a handle so i could sit it in my ammo can with coolent. i would empty it every 10 lb. i think if the heating elemt was a little hotter i would not have to use the torch. imay try a hot plate next time. all and all i like the double # 8s.

13. 686

686 TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.