1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Double D Shooting Clinic in Buffalo last weekend..

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CalamitySJ, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Nine shooters plus myself took the DeVault/DeBow trapshooting clinic last weekend in Buffalo, Minnesota. It started about 9 and ended around 5 each day, with lunch eaten on the fly and plenty of notes taken during the short down-time waiting for your turn to hit the line. The weather on the first day was nothing short of gale-force winds and 40 degree weather, with the second day both warming up and low wind speed.

From start to finish the whole weekend was a class act -- both men were honest, straightforward and respectful of both our shooting styles and our situations (bad backs, bad knees, bad attitudes!). Dean and Dennis have distinctly different teaching styles and personalities but they are perfect foils for one another. When you got advice and praise from Dean you knew you were really doing something well, and when things went wrong Dennis showed you what it was and helped you fix it without stress, in your own style. I went from being a one eyed, stiff legged, low hold shooter to a two eyed, sturdy stance, high hold shooter and was breaking, no, POUNDING 25's straight by Sunday afternoon! Coach is so happy with what he learned about handicap that I had to pull him off the 26 yard line late Sunday night because things were working so good (I think four flats of shells in one day was a little much, Coach, don't you?) and it was time to turn out the lights.

Seriously, if you're looking for a clinic that will improve your game, this is it. These guys work with your natural game and tweak it to make you a better shooter, not just emulate their style and hope it works for you. Each one of us got loads of individual attention and came away with something different to focus on, and we all became better shooters regardless of our level going in. I'm looking forward to the DVD Mike (their IT and video guru) is making for us too. And no, I didn't get paid for this or asked to write this--when something works in any game you'd better let people know because it doesn't happen often. It was that good.
  2. Kooz25

Kooz25 TS Member

Jan 14, 2008
    I could not agree more with Calamity, I am a fairly new shooter to the ATA and compition shooting and to have chance to work with Dennis and Dean was a real
    treat for me.

If there are any clubs out there looking to host a trap shooting clinic I would highly recomend the Double D trap shooting clinic. Dennis and Dean are both very knowledgeable in the sport of trap shooting and gun fit. they made a few adjustments to my gun as well as me and like Calamity I was smashing 25s at the end of the clinic.

I would like to Thank Dennis and Dean for coming to Buffalo MN To put on this Clinic, And The Buffalo Gun Club for hosting it.

Thank Again
  3. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    On Behalf of Dean and myself we would like to thank everyone that attended. It was an honor and a privilage to be your instructors for the weekend. Our thanks to Wally and Ron for helping to make the event a huge success. The club is a first class facility and very well ran. Good luck to everyone and we look forward to seeing each of you in a shoot-off.

Sincerely Yours,

Dean DeBow & Dennis DeVault
  4. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    If you can try and get on to Dennis and Deans monthly email list. The info is both interesting and informative.
  5. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Hey Calamity and Kieth you hit the nail on the head. I was expecting to come to a pitch for guns and equipment and was completely surprised. No pitches were made. I met two great gentlemen of the shooting world who know what they teach. Several changes were made to my gun and my shooting style. My scores have climbed. I am very new to the changes, and although I win my fair share of shoots around the area, I feel very eagar to see what I can do on several hundred targets. I am so eager to try the 900 targets at Buffalo Gun Club this weekend! Perhaps the 27 yd. will happen on Saturday or Sunday! Either way on when ever it happens, I know I now have the tools to make it so.

My new shooting style has relieved much of my lower back pain and allows me to crush the targets rather than chip and chunk on long yardage. It is truly amazing what these two found in my technique and with some very slight tweaking have caused me to become even more excited about the future.

Not only that but I have picked up more tips to help my students to hit targets.

I cannot say enough about Dean and Dennis! I would strongly encourage anyone whom wants to increase the amount of broken targets to attend one of their clinics. They are very good, low key, not demanding on style or set in changing your style.

Subtle hints and suggestions have made me nervous about getting my butt handed to me by CalamitySJ at many of the shoots coming up. She was converted from a 22 to 24 bird one eyed shooter to a 24-25 bird sootballing two eyed shooter in just 12 hours working with these guys! They have created a trap shooting Monster in Calamity! As if I didn't have enough competition, now she is packing the truck with guns and shells and has the gas tank full ready to "MOVE IT" when I get home.

Dennis, Dean and Mike, Steaks on the grill, good company, lots of stories, plenty of waterfowl and pheasants after October 15th any year you want to come. Our treat a weekend or a week in Western MN. We will have the light on for you! Cold tea for Dean too!

Is Dean Really from New York? Come on! He he! Remember Sally's recoil pad. I am picking it up from Pat Laib in 4 hours! Told you so!

Thank You, See you in the shoot offs!

Your humble Students,
    Mark and Sally Stevens
    aka: Primedust, CalamitySJ, Coach
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.